they're not supposed to blink

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

delong1701
Location: In a VAN down by the RIVER! En una van hacia abajo por el río.

they're not supposed to blink

Post by delong1701 »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please move it to the correct place; thanks!

I need a little help. I modified my computer's case about a year ago. I know what you're thinking--why is he talking about his computer here? Please bear with me. For those of you who don't know, the power supply on a standard computer has two voltages (5V and 12V). I constructed a device that connects to an unused connection. I have a total of 5 LEDs that I added. The three middle LEDs, which are Red, are connected to the 12V line and they seem to be fine. The two outside LEDs, which are blue, are connected to the 5V line. For the past two days, they have been blinking, which they are not supposed to do. It could be a loose connection; I'll check tomorrow, my day off. I'm wondering if it might be something else because the first two 5V LEDs I bought didn't work at all. Could it be that Radio Shack needs better quality control? Or is indicative of a power supply that's about to give out? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!
Everyone dies. Not everyone truly lives.
ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

Put a voltmeter on the 5v rail and see if it's fluctuating. Seems to be the most straight forward way.
delong1701
Location: In a VAN down by the RIVER! En una van hacia abajo por el río.

Post by delong1701 »

Yup, loose wire. Whew! :oops: If you're wondering what the computer's case looks like, here's some pictures.

Flash on (so you can see the case)
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... 0_1518.jpg

Flash off (so you can see the lights)
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... 0_1517.jpg
Everyone dies. Not everyone truly lives.