OT-ish clear resin for tail light?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

OT-ish clear resin for tail light?

Post by raser13 »

hey guys, not to long ago i bought a american motors javelin. some of the older guys here will know what it is.javelin the problem that i have is that i not only got a rarer car, i got a '71 which there weren't as many made as other years. plus no one makes replacement parts. my problem is that on the back tail lights, in the center, there is a clear part for the back up lights. on the car it's light damaged and cracking.light i was thinking that if there was a clear resin that was close to the hardness of the plastic i could cast it and make a duplicate. then maybe put a good clear coat on to protect it from the elements.

any suggestions on a glass clear resin? i've tried the one from hobby lobby and it doesn't become hard, it comes out like a piece of rubber. this needs to be as hard as the lens that it's replacing and not yellos in the sunlight. at least not for a few years any how. then any idea of a really good clear coat that won't yellow in sun light? i guess that i could use automotive clear coat. but can it be thinned out enough to be sprayed through a regular air brush? i don't have a large one like they use for cars. also what mold making product would you recommend? i don't think that the two part rubber like stuff from hobby lobby is going to cut it on a part this big like it does for copying my small model greeblys. just thought that this might be a viable option to a hard to replace item. sorry for the long post, but any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. or if you don't think that this would work out let me know and please state why.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
walter

Post by walter »

If it is just the clear part you can cut it out and make a new part from plaxeglase .
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Wow. There's a set on ebay right now, but it's listed at $350. :shock:

This site may be of some help. Good luck, dude, that is a seriously hoopy froody ride ya got there!
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

Congrats on your purchase! I have a 1970 SST with a 360. You should check out the AMC forum, LOTS of goog info there! You will find that prices on ebay can be crazy, but keep looking as sometimes a good buy can be had. Also check out Planethoustonamx - Eddie Stakes Knows more about these cars than anybody, He sells his stuff on ebay too.
Too much LDS
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i'm already on theamcforum.com and yeah ebay is insane!! :shock: i saw the set that stu mentioned for $350 and about died! that's $50 less than i paid for the whole car! and i just couldn't justify that for a car that i'm probably going to mod up a little. i'd go for it if i was going to do a full restoration . and i figured for that kind of price that i could buy some great stuff,like a pressure pot, and cast up a new looking set. i just haven't had luck in finding a clear resin that sets plastic hard. and i know its out there because all these guys that make aftermarket clear parts use it. anyone know what they use?? i just want a part that looks good for alot less than i paid for my car.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If it's a fairly simple shape (which it looks like it is) and you're just going to cast one (maybe two), I would go the silicone caulk route for making your mold. But you can't just pour it on as it won't set properly...

First of all, you need to get GE Silicone I. Don't get Silicone II, as it's different. I know Home Depot carries it, but most hardware stores should.

Second, it needs moisture mixed into it in order to cure all the way through. The best way I've found to do this is to mix in a small dab of artist's acrylic paint. You definitely want it to be the thick paint as it'll be easier to mix (silicone repels water pretty good, so anything thin just beads up).

As soon as it's mixed you need to get it on the part, so make sure it's all ready. Then just wait for it to set up, which shouldn't be long, but you can leave it overnight to be sure.

The only caveat is that the mold isn't particularly durable, so be careful getting it off. But it's as cheap as it gets, so if you have to make another it shouldn't be a big deal. A couple bucks is certainly cheaper than a large amount of RTV mold maker...

I wish I had a resin suggestion for you, but hopefully that helps with half of it at least. :)

-Rog
walter

Post by walter »

I fixed a front blinker that was broke into pices . I glued the parts togather with acraglase ,then used some modling clay to take a print of the inside of the unbroken one put it inside the one that I glued up and mixed more acraglase with som wellow dye and pored it into the holes where parts were missing . It worked very well . Acraglase is for bedding rifle actions to there stock , it has a brown tint if no color is added. If you are giong to mod the car start with the tail lights, find some you like the look of and make them fit.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

OK, I'll bite.....do you have the part(s) you want to copy ?
Still in fairly good condition ? Solid ? All the pieces there ?

If you still want it copied...send me a PM...I can help you out.