fiber optics

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

bruce53176

fiber optics

Post by bruce53176 »

What is the best way to cut and strip fiber optic cable and also to cut the individual fibers?
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

What are you working with?? Back in my fiber optic days there were some that were industrial use only and really should not be cut and handled.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Plastic fibers can be cut individually with a very sharp XActo on a flat hard surface (glass is nice), but the best optical results are achieved by using hot knives (thing XActo blade on a soldering iron).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
bruce53176

Post by bruce53176 »

I'm not sure what the cable is made of. It's LG64 from fiber optic products Inc.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Thats plastic fiber optics.

You can cut that with anything, the sharper the better.

There's also some nifty stuff you can do with it. If you gently warm up the end until it softens and melts a little it will "lens" over and become very round and smooth. This will let you get much more light in and out of your fiber.

You can also scrape the side wall a little to let the light out the side if you want.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

I use my Testers sprue nippers.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

DLMatthys wrote:I use my Testers sprue nippers.
I have a pair of electronic nippers solely dedicated to FO cutting
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog