searching for...(flexible material to make starfighter hull)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

goettervonkobol

searching for...(flexible material to make starfighter hull)

Post by goettervonkobol »

I'm searching a flexible material to make "my own" starfighter hull. It should not break when I form it. What can I use? What should I choose?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

You should probably provide more details for what method you intend to use to make your form. Are you vacuum-forming over a master you've carved? Do you even have a form or are you intending to make the hull? There are some new products on the market that act like fabric until you heat them, then they turn rigid and hold their shape. Do a search on Fosshape and Wonderflex and see if those products might be what you are looking for.
goettervonkobol

I think of easy to use plastikboards not difficult materials. But I don't know the term. I want to make my own starfighter from "scratch". I' ve got plasticspattle with the characteristics of the material I' m searching for. But I need more material, because the spattles I need and can't use them to build the hull. Sorry,my english isn't well. I hope you understand me.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

spattle = spatula IIRC.

My guess is you want to build your own spaceship model and are looking for materials that you can use to make the hull & what-not.

When the model is finished do ou want it to be able to bend & flex or are you just lookingfor something that will flex while you are shaping it?
Abolish Alliteration
goettervonkobol

you can cut it with scissors and flex it to a position you need but too much will break it ... this is the best material I found. Don't now the name of material but is like plastic.

http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=materialdz0.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4301/m ... dz0.th.jpg