New Multiple voltage LEDs?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Jhums

New Multiple voltage LEDs?

Post by Jhums »

anyone knows of Multi-voltage LED Bulb by leddealer? - looks like a good product - I wonder if it works fine? it will replace a number of my current bulbs though - BUT before I buy I want to know if people might have used it.

their website is: http://www.leddealer.com/newproducts.html
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

The NightEyes company produces a great almost 1 watt PR style flashlight bulb replacement that will operate (happily) on from 3 V up to 12 V or so. I use 'em in a lot of my flashlights, and as a backup in the Maglight (3 C cell model) for times when I value duration of light over intensity. Wally world has 'em in their flashlight section for around $8 US.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I've not used it but having read the spec for the product, and noticing the typos in the spec, I'm a little skeptical.

What they say is possible to do, its basically a wide input voltage current regulator IC plus and LED in a standard package. Is that what they actually have for sale? I dunno, I'd have to slice it open to be sure.

-JC.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

So far I've used the NightEyes multivoltage PR bulb replacement in a 2 C cell light (excellent), a 5 cell old Kel-light (a bit brighter), a headband light w/2 AA lithium cells (a bit dimmer), and a 3 C cell MagLight (as bright as the 5 cell). Definitely not a full watt, but good.

For real brightness, and only in a MagLight, I use MagLight's own single voltage drop-in unit. And that one is a good 3 watt focussing unit.

Unfortunately, the MagLight modules are not PR (flanged base 'bulb') size units, they're bigger and not at all happy in a PR size socket.

Buy a NightEyes drop in, Madman and let us know how it works for you!

Model ON!