Adding features with Sculpey

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Less Than Super Ostrich

Adding features with Sculpey

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Interesting fact I just learned. I was worried that adding features molded in Sculpey to a polystyrene kit would be problematic since baking the Sculpey would also melt the plastic. Not so. You can actually add your detail and boil the thing in water, which will harden the sculpey. Since the boiling point of water is 100°C, well below the melting point of polystyrene (about 185°C), your polystyrene kit should not be damaged.

I've never done this, but I've been told it works.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Hmmm... I think the problem with that is that unless the Sculpy is very thin, you would have to heat the thing for long enough to get the whole Sculpy blob hot enough long enough.

Unlike things like water, styrene doesn't have a sudden state change: solid to liquid at a certain temperature. Being plastic, it will soften and deform well below that temp. This is why some kits stored in attics where it can get hot (but still below boiling!) will warp to uselessness.

I had a Wirbelwind turret that I accidently left in my car once. A few hours in the sun later, I had a wonky, wobbly thing that was completely unusable. I had tested my car once during the very hottest part of the hottest summer, and the air temp of the car was 165° F. So your plastic could well deform when immersed in boiling water.

Try it out on a similarly sized piece of plastic with practice bit of Sculpy before trying the real one. Maybe for a thick piece of plastic with no sharp corners, and a very thin bit of Sculpy, but extensive work I think would be problematic.

Kev
(And ennyhoo - why not use Aves?)
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Um.... No. I wouldn't try that on anything that wasn't a solid block of styrene. Remember how you can try to reshape warped styrene parts? Putting 'em in hot water. Not even boiling water. Same with resin parts.

So...

Aves forever! :D
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Unbaked Sculpy will attack plastic like liquid styrene cement, with much the same results. Boiling will warp the styrene parts in the time it will take to cure the sculpy. What you wanna do is make the part removable from the plastic, bake it, then glue it back on. A little SmoothOn universal releaser, Pam, vegetable oil, whatever, will allow you put a barrier between the plastic and the Sculpy while you sculpt. Once you got what ya want, carefully pll it off and bake, then glue it on with CA.

If you don't wanna put the sculpy in the oven, use a heat gun. Wave it over the piece until it sets up. You can tell it's set up because it loses it's luster and turns dull. The heat gun doesn't work well with thick parts, but for thin stuff it's the bomb diddly daddy o.

Erin
<*>
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Or just use Epoxy putty.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

There is a "air dry" type of clay that litterally dries by air. I used to to construct Klingon ridges on a plastic skull to make the "Skull of Molar" Once I constructed them, I let it dry for about a day, then used Goop to attach it to the plastic skull. Primered and painted it.

I'll check and see what brand it was, but I got it at Michael's. It does say "air dry". It does, so don't leave your bag of it open, or you'll have a brick.
Motherhen

Post by Motherhen »

I have my Skulpey stuffed into a zip lock bag and I found out last night that the baking instructions are gone.........

What temp do you bake sculpey at? I tried 150deg but that seemed to take forever.
Nothing cool to say, I just signed up today
Zombie_61

Post by Zombie_61 »

Assuming you mean Super Sculpey, according to the manufacturer's website it's 275°F for 15 minutes per quarter-inch of thickness. Look under "Curing".

http://www.sculpey.com/Products/product ... rsculp.htm
The older I get, the better it was.