Need putty Help

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Stilgar

Need putty Help

Post by Stilgar »

Well...Im new at this....
I went and got some Bondo putty as advised. It seemed to apply ok in some seams. I let it dry awhile and then sanded. Looked even better. Then it dried overnight or more. Now it no longer has a smooth appearance. It looks grainy....alot....almost powdery....

What did I do wrong??

All help appreciated!!

Stilgar
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Maybe the sanding?

Did you increase the grit of the sandpaper from let's say 600 to 800 and so on to smooth it out?
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Yes I did. I started with 800 grit and finished with 1200. It looked smooth when I left it. Then it dried more and changed......
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Are you wet sanding?
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

errr...no....
I guess I need that explained. I have electronics in the model, so I cant really 'put it in the sink' so to speak...

Can someone explain wet sanding in detail please? And....would that make the difference?

Stilgar
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

it's either sanding under running water or making the sandpaper or sanding stick moist enough to give it a little lube. It really helps out.

Also, maybe you got a bad batch? That's never happened to me before. Although what I generally do it putty, scrape off the excess immediately and then sand about a day later.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Your bondo was dry when you sanded it. the problem is that it does what bondo does best. It shrinks. You need to go get a tube of the orange spot and glazing putty to put over that and give it a finish sanding. What you experinced is quite common.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
woozle

Post by woozle »

The same thing happens with squadron green putty, though Aves Apoxie never shrinks and is rock hard when set.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

err...ok...now VERY confused...
I have the red and black tube of 'Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty'. The putty inside is red. Is that the wrong stuff?

Am I supposed to use 2 types of putty? Start with the red stuff I have and then 'finish' with the 'orange' stuff that HWR MKII advised?

Also...sounds like I am supposed to remove the excess putty, let dry a day, and then wet sand??

Stilgar
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Your doing nothing wrong stil. I like to fill and get the base area as smooth as possible. I leave a small amount of excess to allow for shrinkage. then i wetsand from there. I also let my fillers sit for a full day or 2 just to make sure they are cured fully
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

This is why I use Aves Epoxy putty for most tasks. Frequently I won't need to sand.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

TER-OR wrote:This is why I use Aves Epoxy putty for most tasks. Frequently I won't need to sand.
I just recently started using Aves products. I'm pretty sure the squadron putty that I have on hand will dry out before I use any more of it. Should have switched years ago. Aves is fantastic stuff.

-S
woozle

Post by woozle »

While I prefer Aves, there is an advantage to squadron putty. It's quick and cenvenient. Just squeeze a little on your finger and spread it on.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

A little water on your finger, the Aves becomes glassy smooth without sanding. A paper towel with alcohol makes sure nothing winds up where it shoudn't. Go to bed, and tomorrow it's perfect.

No, it's not fast but it is workable for hours. You should scribe the lines while the epoxy putty is about 2/3 fully cured. I made this mistake for years, waiting to scribe 'til it was cured.

Terry Miesle
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

It sounds like the putty had not fully cured when you started to sand the first time. What are you sanding that requires 800 and 1200 sandpaper on Bondo? I've only ever used that high of grit when getting scratches out of clear parts. I stop at 600 on painted surfaces. Though I have never painted a gloss surface. 800 and 1200 should be spent on the primer surface and not the undersurface.

I assume from your messages that you are using the Bondo Spot Putty in a tube. For very small holes and scratches this stuff is fine. It's an air dry putty that evaporates out the solvent. The thincker you apply it, the longer it takes, and thicker applications form a skin on the surface that prevents the interior from drying at the same rate. This is what causes the cracking. The surface is set while the inside was soft. As the interior releases the solvent, it sinks and caused the surface to crack.

For thicker applications, 0.05" and up, use an epoxy putty or a two part polyester putty from Bondo. BTW, I just started using Aves last night. Great stuff. I don't care for the stickyness, but the application and clean up was easy.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TER-OR wrote:This is why I use Aves Epoxy putty for most tasks. Frequently I won't need to sand.
"The wise man looks to Aves, as he does to the strong ram on the mount, and knows to put his trust in the Aves, for the Aves is as it appears. Beware the treachery of the Bondo, for it is as the serpent who first tempted Testor, the first modeler, with instructions from the sprue of knowledge. It has its place, but beware its deceitful ways, for it will shift like the sands, shirk bonds like the concubine, change colors like the purple cloth of Babylonian whoremongers, and allure the young man with perfumed spice like Jezebel."

~ Hasegawa's Letters to the Tamiyans 13:10

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Astro-Man

From the Book of Putty

Post by Astro-Man »

Hey Lt. ZOmBe, thanks so much for that nice little sermon, whats that from? The Book of Putty from the Modeler's Bible? I love it! I couldn't have said it better myself!! I will seek out the Aves, for it is good! Get behind me Bondo! For thou hast tempted me no longer and you have spoiled Testors with your foul, grainy likeness! Modeling salvation, we all need it! [-o<
"We'll drink as much as we want! We're FREAKS!"
-Bearded Lady

"Okay lady, do I come to where you work and jump on the bed?"
-POR-EEF salesman to nosy customer
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Bondo shrinks from a large task, while Aves stands firm.
Beware ye the toluene, for it is a harsh mistress.

Confusionist's letter to the Aromatic Hydrocarbons.

Terry Miesle
Astro-Man

From the Book of Putty

Post by Astro-Man »

So, now all I need to know is where to purchase Aves. Anyone know a good site or store I can find Aves putty?? Squadrom.com only carries is own brand of putty, and that sucks almost as bad as the Testors putty! Ugh, Testors putty....... :x bird turd in a tube!
-Bearded Lady

TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Zero's not only a vendor, he's a member....

You can purchase through the SM store. John's arranged good prices.

Terry Miesle
Astro-Man

Oh, Aves!

Post by Astro-Man »

Ah, should have looked in the SSM Store, I should have known this! #-o

Thanks for the reminder, TER-OR. When all else fails, look to SSM for good help!
-Bearded Lady