Nice panel lines... need a tip

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marcal

Nice panel lines... need a tip

Post by Marcal »

I would like to know how can I archieve panel lines when there is no lines scribed in the model, something like these.
Is it airbrushed? pastels?. Some special technique??

Any tip would be very helpful... Thanks in advance :)
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

The nacels right? They look airbrushed to me. mask the part or hold a card to it and spray at the mask line hth.
Brian
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

That could be pastel work, too. Again, use a post-it note then gently apply a bit of pastel dust working back. Both are good techniques.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I perfer the pastel technique, it's faster & easier with one exception. You've got to plan ahead. If you lay the post-it note down where you've already smeared pastel it'll peel at least some of it up.

But, if you really need ot you can hit it with some artists fixative.
Abolish Alliteration
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Well I´ve allready tried out the pastel way. As a preliminar result you can check it here: http://www.sosmatic.net/~marcal/3ships/ ... pastel.JPG

I will try it with some other model with the airbrush, but that far the result with pastels are quite satisfiying. :)

Now I´m going to damage the BOP a little bit !!

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Looks really good. you should ck out The art work of Makoto Kobyashi.
It's in ssm links under (other). some photos in there of ships with painted panel lines - awesome
Brian
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

This was done by masking with tape, then sprayed along the tape edge with an airbrush. This is much easier than attempting it with pastels! :wink:
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Four years later...

-Rog
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Sorry! I did'nt see the date on this when I posted. ](*,) I HAVE only been here a month now! :oops:
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

:D

I guess this particular section doesn't get a ton of traffic. In the General Sci-fi section it seems like things fall of the edge of the earth after a week, which is kind of a shame...

-Rog
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

I agree! It's a shame because, I have to dig through tons of threads,and posts to find something I'm looking for like this one. :? Then there are the ones that I see,and no one has replied to,but they're months,or even YEARS old! :oops: :oops: :oops: I replied for nothing! :oops: :cry:
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

THat's why we made the sticky subjects for common questions.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati