Glueing other types of plastic to styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

vlester

Glueing other types of plastic to styrene

Post by vlester »

What kind of adhesive could I use to glue plastic from say a milk jug to a piece of styrene? CA didn't work, and neither did another epoxy type glue.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

You're trying to glue polyproplene(sp?)( milk jug ) to styrene....very tough to do.
The poly has to be roughed up with sandpaper and the best glue to use is a type called methylacrylate...3M carries it.
Nasty glue...don't get any on your skin and do not breath the fumes.
Works pretty well though.
vlester

Post by vlester »

So i'm probably better off trying to find another sources of plastic for my lens than a milk jug lol...ah well.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Olivers

Post by Olivers »

Milk jug as a lens? Trying to difuse a light?

Try getting some acrylic sheet and roughly sanding it with 120 grit. Ends up as a milky plastic and can be glued with CA.
vlester

Post by vlester »

Olivers wrote:Milk jug as a lens? Trying to difuse a light?

Try getting some acrylic sheet and roughly sanding it with 120 grit. Ends up as a milky plastic and can be glued with CA.
Yes, problem there is trying to find a piece that is already shapped to fit the curved area of the model i'm lighting. The corner of a milk jug worked well but doesn't glue easily. A sheet of plastic would need to be molded to fit the area, and I have no idea how to do that lol.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There are primers for LEPs that allow one to use CA to bond them together (or to other things). Somewhere I've got a link to a place that sells them.
Abolish Alliteration