Bending resin

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Julius Orange

Bending resin

Post by Julius Orange »

I've got the 1/1400 phaser strips and I'm using them on my Enterprise-E. I need to know if there is a way to bend them to curve around the bottom of the engineering hull with out breaking them.

Cheers.
mech

Re: Bending resin

Post by mech »

Julius Orange wrote:I've got the 1/1400 phaser strips and I'm using them on my Enterprise-E. I need to know if there is a way to bend them to curve around the bottom of the engineering hull with out breaking them.

Cheers.
Heat them with a blow dryer until they are plyable, then cool them with cold water. They should hold the shape, depending on the curve in them now, to what you want, I'd imagine if it's a severe bend, you may loose detail. Not sure about that part though.
Julius Orange

Re: Bending resin

Post by Julius Orange »

mech wrote:
Julius Orange wrote:I've got the 1/1400 phaser strips and I'm using them on my Enterprise-E. I need to know if there is a way to bend them to curve around the bottom of the engineering hull with out breaking them.

Cheers.
Heat them with a blow dryer until they are plyable, then cool them with cold water. They should hold the shape, depending on the curve in them now, to what you want, I'd imagine if it's a severe bend, you may loose detail. Not sure about that part though.
The phaser strips are flat and straight as an arrow. The hull is the Ertl Enterprise-E hull at the bottom center.

Cheers.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Gently heat in hot, but not boiling, water and place on the hull. Allow it to cool and it should keep the shape.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati