Making decals/graphics programs

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Keith Gatchalian

Making decals/graphics programs

Post by Keith Gatchalian »

I know how to make the decals, but it is the graphics part that is escaping me. Most of the graphics come out a little fuzzy. I've heard about vector based programs that are sharp. Anyone recommend one, and can you import an existing graphic..and then "translate" it or sharpen it?

Any tips or directions in the right area would be helpful.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Going from bitmap to vector is not normally recommended, it's usually easier to redraw than try to cleanup.

Vector Magic http://vectormagic.com/ is a software program that will do cleanups, it used to be free but now you have to pay to get any format outside of BMP.

Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator are the most common, depends on what you're used to really.

Note that vector does not work well for art that has gradients or any kind of shading.

Ken
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

You should be able to find an older version of CorelDraw for much less than the current one. Even CD 10 has more functionality than you'll likely need. This has a fairly good bitmap to vector program (CorelTrace), but as noted, there's usually some cleanup needed of the new lines.

What I usually do is to import the bitmap and then trace over it myself. This works best with a pen and tablet setup.

As for gradients/shading - have a look at some of the work done in CD in the examples section of any of the aftermarket manuals in the bookstores. The illustrations there can look photorealistic. Way beyond what I can do, but pretty spiffy, nonetheless.

Kev
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

kenlilly106 wrote:Note that vector does not work well for art that has gradients or any kind of shading.
Going to have to disagree there. Adobe Illustrator in particular has excellent gradient control. In fact industry standard Postscript software like Illustrator rely on precise gradient control.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

PetarB wrote: Going to have to disagree there. Adobe Illustrator in particular has excellent gradient control. In fact industry standard Postscript software like Illustrator rely on precise gradient control.
I should clarify that gradients can be difficult to properly reproduce in decal form, the aircraft decal companies have been using ALPS or similar technology for nose art decals, and standard screen printing for the rest of the decals.

Ken