neglected airbrush cleaning

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

neglected airbrush cleaning

Post by Digger1 »

I have an airbrush that for whatever reason, I didn't clean after it's last use. How would you recommend cleaning it so it's functional again without damaging or ruining the rubber o-rings and other seals?
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

First I would start soaking it in a cleaning solution. Said that it depends on your o-rings/seals if they are teflon you can use laquer, etc.

If the needle and nozzle still has paint residue I would start sanding those down and also use an airbrush cleaning kit.
For hard to remove stuff I use a file set used to clean welding nozzles, looks like different sized wires but are actually files.

All I can think of right now.

HTH.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

What airbrush are you using?
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

anthem 155
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

If you can get it taken apart, then your best bet is a little lacquer thinner. I use cotton swabs and pipe cleaners on my Badger 100. Clean the needle, then use a pipe cleaner soaked in thinner to clean out the nozzle and the main body of the brush. When you put it back together, turn on your compressor and blow plenty of air through the brush; that should evaporate the thinner so it won't attack the rubber seals and such. That's how I've been doing mine for years.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

What type of finish did you use last ?
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Testor's Acryl, I think.

I know, soap and water, alcohol...

I'm looking to not damage the innards like the air valve assembly (very touchy). Granted, soap and water wouldn't do that but it's not exactly for power cleaning.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If any of the parts move you can try shooting some windex through it. Don't know what a soaking would do to the seals. For a soak I prefer the EZ-AIR acrylic airbrush cleaner.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If synthetic rubber, the Windex should be OK. If natural rubber, the ammonia may be trouble if you soak a long time. But it is the best to try for the Acryl. Also, warm things up a bit if you can.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I axed the girl at Lowes and she recommended denatured alcohol, acetone or mineral spirits. I picked the less explosive one. The parts are now soaking in mineral spirits.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Digger1 wrote:I axed the girl at Lowes ......
I hope nobody was looking, you could get in trouble for this sort of thing :lol: :lol:
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

that was a deliberate misspelling being a Futurama fan.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Well, I learned how to make gunmetal and it makes my nails look dead.

I've let it soak for a few hours now. The paint inside the paint cup (my indicator - if that paint isn't soft, nothing is) is still solid and I'm using straight mineral spirits.

maybe denatured alcohol or acetone?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mike, why do you ask if you never listen?

Where did anyone say acetone? Get a bottle of Windex and let it be if it's acrylic. If need be a bit of lacquer thinner goes a long way. Other than that, quit mucking about with it.
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I just don't remember if it's acrylic or not and I wanna use the right chemical for the right job. If I can use something strong that'll get both, I'll do that.

Okay, I'll do the windex.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Always start gentle. Windex first, then alcohol, then harsher treatments.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati