Testors Contour Putty/ Iosopropyl Alcohol Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Testors Contour Putty/ Iosopropyl Alcohol Question

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I will be puttying the seams of a kit using testors contour putty. I know that using rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip helps smooth out the putty. I have 2 bottles of ISOPROPYL alcohol, the first being 70% and the second being 91% I have never used the testors contour putty and would like to know which of these alcohols would be the best to use.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Use the 91%. The 70% contains oils as a moisturizer to avoid overdrying the skin in topical applications.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks Rpauly :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

How about nail polish remover ? maybe that is what i was thinking :shock:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The biggest reason there's a 70% is that the 70:30 IPA:Water ratio is the most antibiotic ratio. It kills microbes better than pure alcohol.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TER-OR wrote:The biggest reason there's a 70% is that the 70:30 IPA:Water ratio is the most antibiotic ratio. It kills microbes better than pure alcohol.
Holy crap! I didn't know that.

Thanks!! As usual Terry, you both a gentleman and a scholar.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I didn't know it until college microbiology. Lots of fun, playing with "bugs."
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

BERT aka MODEL MAKER wrote:How about nail polish remover ? maybe that is what i was thinking :shock:
Nail polish remover is mostly Acetone, which is a different animal. Great for removing paint, don't know how it'd react with the putty

Atlantis
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks for the info. :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Drac Blau

Post by Drac Blau »

I would avoid Testors contour Putty. Unless they've changed the formula in the last few years, it has the most shrinking of any putty I've used and it tends to be crumbly compaired to others on the market. I would also avoid Sq

For filling of fine lines and cracks, I would use Gunze Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000. It is a liquid filler that can be applied with a brush and can be removed with 91% alcolhol before and after it dries. It works great for hard to reach places and can be built up in layers.

There are also the two part polyester fillers for the automotive industry such as Eurosoft that work great for filling, although they don't smooth out with alcohol.

For medium sized gaps that are easy to reach, gap filling super glue or super glue with a filler such as micro-baloons or baking soda work well.

For large gaps, I use two part epoxy putty. There are many brands out there to choose from. Milliput comes to mind.

I know this is more info than you asked for, I just got a little carried away with ideas.

DB
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thank you, & I appreciate your advice and now i know more about the testors putty. :) I am going to get something better.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Drac Blau

Post by Drac Blau »

I'm glad I could help.

Sorry, I seem to have forgotten to finish the last sentence on the first paragraph on my post above. I was going to say that Squadron green putty is okay for small seams and such, but it tends to shrink, so I wouldn't recommend it either.

For epoxy putty, if you're on a budget as I usually am, I've used the two part putties made for repairing gas tanks. It works great and you can get a small strip of it for as low as $1. It's the same as what people in miniature figure modelling call "brown stuff". It sands and drills well and is great for the larger gaps. you can smooth it and shape it with a finger wet with water before it cures. It usually cures overnite. A small strip usually does quite a few projects.

DB
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

the seams i am thinking about are the small if any, gaps between the sub body and the fins. The cement may fill the gaps the first time but if not i will try the testors. I will buy some better stuff for any future projects though. :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Any solvent-based filler will shrink - this includes the acrylic fillers where water is the solvent. This is because the solvent evaporates in order to dry the filler and this means that the filler loses part of its volume.

Epoxy fillers cure because of a chemical reaction between the resin and the hardener. This means that epoxy fillers shrink less.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson