Clear coating--why?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Atticus

Clear coating--why?

Post by Atticus »

OK, I've searched the fourms and haven't found a specific answer to my question, so I apologize if this basic question has already been covered a million times. I don't always search very well.

So--as a weathering/airbrushing novice, I'm curious as to the general "why?" behind clear coating. An educated guess indicates that you clear coat to "seal" weathering effects and decals, but as far as color goes, what's the purpose of clear coating a kit with an already flat finish? Does it enhance the overall finish in some way?

I've pre-ordered the FM Y-wing (two of them), so would like to try clear coating, especially if it will improve the overall look of the kit. I built the Falcon, and although it turned out well (considering my skill level), I note that the flat base color (light camo gray mixed with flat white) gives the Falcon's finish a clay-like appearance, rather than that of weathered metal. Maybe without clear coat, the finish is TOO flat? Would clear coat would help this?

In the end, I want my Y-wing to look like a smaller version of the "real" thing, not a clay model.

Thanks!

Atticus
mech

Post by mech »

Like your guess, for sealing the decals and weathering.
Applying a gloss coat first helps the decals from getting the "silvering" effect, the dull coat seals everything from there.

j
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That's about it. To seal in all that modeling goodness.

Decals go one better over a gloss coat. So does a wash. Pastels, on the other hand, go on better over a matte surface and are best done over your decals (soot rarely goes around your lettering).

I'll admit, I rarely seal my final bit of weathering.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you want crisp panel line washes, a clear gloss coat is a must. Excess can easily be removed from a glossy coat. Glazes aren't removed, so aren't quite as necessary over gloss.

Decals have been covered.

However, decals should be sealed. Sealing protects them, and helps make the sheen on the decal the same as the sheen around it. This, once dullcoated, will make it look painted on.

Gloss coats also protect paint when masking. Flat paint will be damaged in many cases when you anneal your masking tape down. Don't even try to use masking fluid over a matte surface.

There are many reasons to become proficient with Future.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati