An air compressor is an air compressor is an air compressor?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

An air compressor is an air compressor is an air compressor?

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I've been wondering for a long time if ineeded to pick up an air compressor from the hobby store or order one online specifically for hobbying or if I could just go into a hardware store and get one as they seem to be a helluva lot cheaper.

The consensus lately i've seen here is that you can buy an off the shelf air compressor from a hardware or big box store with the same results as one you'd get in a hobby store.

Is this true? If so, what should I look for in as far as pressure is concerned, adapters, specific parts, etc.

-Shawn :smoke:
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

all compressors are not created equally.

The one I have is an oil-less 1 gallon, 100 PSI compressor and is LOUD when it's charging but only takes about a minute to charge and will automatically recharge at or below 80 PSI which gives me a start and sometimes I'll drop the airbrush, the model or both. The ones at hobby shops are diaphragm ones. Whether they take oil or not, I am uncertain but they are a little quieter than the one I have and I don't know the PSI rating on them. They have to run constantly while you're spraying.

A regulator is necessary as a compressor will spray out what it's designed to which might be too much for your needs. Airbrushing is usually done at 20-30 psi depending.

A moisture/particle trap is necessary especially for reservoir (tank) compressors as they build up moisture in the tank and can be sprayed out with the air stream and get in your paint ruining your paint job.

Same results, yes but it depends on your wants and needs.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a Senco PC1010. It's smallish, and will power a brad nailer but that's about it. It has pressure and output regulators and a 1gal tank. It's a very nice compressor and not very loud, ask anyone who has attended SciFiU at Wonderfest. And buy a ballvalve to allow you to remove or change the hose or airbrush without emptying the tank.

Follow your directions and purge your tank once a week to remove moisture condensate. You will extend the life of your compressor and eliminate water spurge. There should be a valve at the bottom of the tank. Make sure you reduce the pressure to whatever the manufacturer indicates.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

Babaganoosh wrote:
The one I have is an oil-less 1 gallon, 100 PSI compressor and is LOUD when it's charging but only takes about a minute to charge and will automatically recharge at or below 80 PSI which gives me a start and sometimes I'll drop the airbrush, the model or both.
I have a very similar compressor that I got at Harbor Freight. The trick to dealing with the restart "start" :shock: is to just turn it off after it fills. Check your pressure gauge once in a while, and maybe let it refill while you are changing colors or such. A full tank should last a while at normal pressures.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

If you don't get one with a reservoir, there's a danger that you'll get pulsing in the airflow. If you try to spray a thin line, it'll look like a row of dots. Each pulse is a result of the piston rising in the cylinder. A pressure regulator is supposed to stop this but often struggles. A good rule of thumb when buying a compressor is you generally get what you pay for. It's also good to check out how noisy each one is. My current one is silent which means I can use it late at night without disturbing anyone.
mightymax

Re: An air compressor is an air compressor is an air compres

Post by mightymax »

CaptainHawk1 wrote:I've been wondering for a long time if ineeded to pick up an air compressor from the hobby store or order one online specifically for hobbying or if I could just go into a hardware store and get one as they seem to be a helluva lot cheaper.

The consensus lately i've seen here is that you can buy an off the shelf air compressor from a hardware or big box store with the same results as one you'd get in a hobby store.

Is this true? If so, what should I look for in as far as pressure is concerned, adapters, specific parts, etc.

Yes by definition for your purposes all compressors do the same thing. They will provide a source of air for your airbrush. Now if you go to a hobby/art store you will be getting a compressor that will only do one thing. power your airbrush. If you get a home/contractor grade compressor then you can do other things like inflate the car tires, nail, airbrush etc. Yes they seem cheaper for what you get and their capabilities. Here comes the but.... But they tend to be much louder than a dedicated hobby compressor. I guess most manufacturers realize a hobby compressor will be used in the house/studio where a home/contractor unit will usual be used outdoors where the noise really may not be an issue. You can find small home compressors that are not prohibitively loud. The Campbell Hausfield "Quiet Air" Comes to mind.

Years ago I wanted to trade up from my venerable (using now for 27 yrs!) Paasche. I found a slick compressor with a tank at Sam's Club for 170.00. I figured a Badger with a tank would run me 400.00 so this was a steal. Imagine my displeasure the first (and really only) time I used it to airbrush. I found out the slick compressor is so loud it is like someone is firing a machine gun next to me! After having my teeth rattled loose I quietly put this thing out in the garage and have been using my Paasche. I recently bought a compressor at Harbor freight. I made sure to plug it in at the store to see how loud it is. I am sure the clerks thought I was nuts. This unit while not as quiet as my Paasche is not much louder and it was priced nicely. Be sure you can live with the noise any compressor makes because you may be together a long time!

Cheers,
Max Bryant
CaptainHawk1

Re: An air compressor is an air compressor is an air compres

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

mightymax wrote:
CaptainHawk1 wrote:I've been wondering for a long time if ineeded to pick up an air compressor from the hobby store or order one online specifically for hobbying or if I could just go into a hardware store and get one as they seem to be a helluva lot cheaper.

Yes by definition for your purposes all compressors do the same thing. They will provide a source of air for your airbrush. Now if you go to a hobby/art store you will be getting a compressor that will only do one thing. power your airbrush. If you get a home/contractor grade compressor then you can do other things like inflate the car tires, nail, airbrush etc. Yes they seem cheaper for what you get and their capabilities. Here comes the but.... But they tend to be much louder than a dedicated hobby compressor. I guess most manufacturers realize a hobby compressor will be used in the house/studio where a home/contractor unit will usual be used outdoors where the noise really may not be an issue. You can find small home compressors that are not prohibitively loud. The Campbell Hausfield "Quiet Air" Comes to mind.

Years ago I wanted to trade up from my venerable (using now for 27 yrs!) Paasche. I found a slick compressor with a tank at Sam's Club for 170.00. I figured a Badger with a tank would run me 400.00 so this was a steal. Imagine my displeasure the first (and really only) time I used it to airbrush. I found out the slick compressor is so loud it is like someone is firing a machine gun next to me! After having my teeth rattled loose I quietly put this thing out in the garage and have been using my Paasche. I recently bought a compressor at Harbor freight. I made sure to plug it in at the store to see how loud it is. I am sure the clerks thought I was nuts. This unit while not as quiet as my Paasche is not much louder and it was priced nicely. Be sure you can live with the noise any compressor makes because you may be together a long time!

Cheers,
Max Bryant
The one I got yesterday as a Campbell Hausfield FP2028. It does 100 PSI and has a 1 gallon tank.

So, the question now is what all do I need? It looks like I need a regulator and a moisture trap.

Anything else?

BTW- I got this at wal mart for $50.00 and I did save the receipt so if you folks think it's a piece of creap, let me know so I can return it.

Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

CaptainHawk1-
Yes on both the regulator and trap. If you look around, you can find them relatively cheaply, but consider that they most likely will never wear out and are a one-time investment. Get the best that you can comfortably afford.
One other must-have is a quick-disconnect. That way, you can swap airbrushes easily, plus you'll be able to use it for other compressor-related tasks (airing the tires, small airtools, and so on). I think my disconnect ran less than $20 total at the local auto parts store, for the female connector (on the compressor) and 3 male connectors (2 airbrushes and the original hose).
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

You can pick up a general purpose starter air set at lowes or home depot, that comes with a couple of quick disconnects (then you don't need Ter's ball valves), some teflon tape, a ball inflator, etc for around $20...

'Course, if all you need is the quick disconnects and the tape (make sure you get the teflon tape! It'll stop leaks from happening), you can pay just a few dollars.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin