Battle Dammage: Techniques, tips & Tricks

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slide

Battle Dammage: Techniques, tips & Tricks

Post by Slide »

Now we all know the a beat-up ship just looks cooler than something fresh off the line.

i'd like to share a technique i picked up for replicating burn marks on yor model. Cant remember where i picked it up, mybe even from someone on these boards.

Matches. That's right: Matches. nothing looks more like a burn then, well, a burn!

paint your model, weather it as you will. if you want to put a laser or missile burn on it, then grab a match! there are a couple ways to go about this, so i'll start with match-book matches [the ones that are not wood]

1. Cut a match-head off of one of the matches, and place it where you'd like the effect. if you want a directionsl blast-streak, then tilt the model slightly so that the direction you want the streak to be in is slightly elevated [not enough to slide the match-head though].

2. take a second match, light it, and then light the 1st Match-head you put on the model. just let it burn out... shouldn't take more than a second or two. you can use the ash that's left to make additional directional streaks to the blast, or darken one in particular.

immediately follow this step by a clear coat.

voila.

Wooden matches. basicly the same, but they tend to burn longer, so you'll get a more intense effect.

1. Cut a wooden match-head off, leaving just a sliver of wood attached to the head. Stand the head on the model using the attached wood as a base.

2. Light head 1 with match 2, and watch the magic.

fin.

The burns will look different, so give them a test and see which you like better.

I recomend practicing with scrap kits or sheet styrene to see what else you can accomplish with this Technique... and in case your worried about dammaging n expensive kit.

WARNING: This method WILL dammage the surface of the kit! it is real fire afterall. surface dammage should be minor at worst, but it will be there.

DICLAIMER: i've only done this on Acryllic paints, which were flatcoated before the matches were used. i have no idea if the heat will light other types of paint ablaze... but it's highly unlikely if it's dried and flatcoated. A flatcoat is recomended as it will catch the ash better ans look like a direct hit.

to lighten the effect: use a damp Q-tip and gently rub the burn... the char and ash will come away, leaving a lighter scar.

it sounds a little risky at first, i'll admit...

but it looks absolutley gorgeous with some practice.

anybody else got a cool Dammage technique? a trick? tip? please share it with us!
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wow!! That's a neat technique!!

Thanks for that one. I'll have to add it to my bag o' tricks. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sounds like a smaller version of using sparklers for damage. Looks nice at that scale.

I'm still a dremel, xacto, airbrush and pastels kinda guy.
Abolish Alliteration
Slide

Post by Slide »

Kylwell wrote:Sounds like a smaller version of using sparklers for damage. Looks nice at that scale.

I'm still a dremel, xacto, airbrush and pastels kinda guy.
while i am practicing with those to try to replicate the effects.. i havn't been able to get any that actually look like burns
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

I used to "model" blast marks by laying one of those capgun rings on the desired spot and melting a cap with a soldering iron. 'Works like a charm, though the effect isn't precisely subtle.