"Cutting" bondo?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

badlandsghost

"Cutting" bondo?

Post by badlandsghost »

One of my umpteen projects is going to need a bit of filling, and bondo has lately become my filler of choice, but for one question. Anyone got any suggestions for something that will remove/allow working with in the same way that some modeling puttys can be "cut" with rubbing alcohol to get it off the fingers etc?

Thanks,
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"What are you all looking at? Well?"
"They're looking at the wee little puppet man. "
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

If you're referring to the red bondo putty, pure acetone works wonderfully. I thin it to a liquid state and brush it into tiny cracks and pinholes. Works great.

Eric
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

zysurge wrote:If you're referring to the red bondo putty, pure acetone works wonderfully. I thin it to a liquid state and brush it into tiny cracks and pinholes. Works great.

Eric
I have to interject here. DON'T use pure acetone as it will destroy a styrene model. Use acetone-containing fingernail-polish remover instead.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Personally i only use the Bondo glazing putty as a spot filler. I much prefer using Aves Expoxy Scult or Magic Sculpt epoxy putties for the vast majoriity of my filling requirements. This and smooth them with alcohol and you are ready to go.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I use Testors Liquid Cement to thin Bondo. Works lie a champ.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
badlandsghost

Post by badlandsghost »

Hadn't thought about the glazing putty idea..."D'OH". Thanks guys, I'll definatly be checking them out the next time I'm at Wally-World.
Thats actually the main reason I started using "improvised" fillers, theres only one hobbyshop with 10-15 miles, and getting out that way during the day is a nightmare. So I started working with what was available.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll have pics soon.

J

*Edit* BTW, (since theres already NP acetone in the house) Does it or the straight acetone affect the set time for the bondo too? I dont have to worry about melting it since its all foil and sculpey.
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"What are you all looking at? Well?"
"They're looking at the wee little puppet man. "
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:I have to interject here. DON'T use pure acetone as it will destroy a styrene model. Use acetone-containing fingernail-polish remover instead.Kenny
Really? I've never experienced this. Of course, I don't apply acetone directly to the model, I use it to thin the glazing putty before application. I'll have to experiment on some scraps.

Eric
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Like admiralcag, I've used Testors liquid cement to cut Bondo spot putty. (In fact, I think I learned it from him). I also use Ambroid ProWeld. Works just fine for smoothing it out. I've never tried cutting Bondo body filler.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.