DESPERATE NEED OF HELP W/MICRO MARK DECAL SHEETS!!!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

DESPERATE NEED OF HELP W/MICRO MARK DECAL SHEETS!!!

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

What am I doing wrong?

I clear coated the Ent-A w/Future, it's ridiculously slick.

Printed up Arthur Pendragons Aztecking decals (w/Micro Mark clear paper for Ink Jet), sealed them, applied solvaset to the nacelles, soaked the decal in water for over 20 seconds and it 's beyond difficult to get these things off of the paer and when I do, they are bubbling up and wrinkling. I am using Solvaset on top of the decal after i get it off of the paper.

What the hell is going on??? :(

-Shawn ](*,)
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I had a similar problem recently with some Tomita decals done on MM paper. First I had to re-coat them as they were breaking up. After spraying them again, I soaked the next piece, but it was sticking around the edges, like I think you're encountering. I just used a small flat putty spatula(from Micromark as well), slipped it between the decal and paper, and carefully ran it along the egde, separating them. It may also help to trim around the decal after spraying to reduce this effect. Hope that helps.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Figured out what I am doing wrong. The key to these sheets is to completely ignore the instructions.

What I do (and is working like a charm) is first brush water generously on the surface to be decaled (I was brushing Solvaset on the model first, before). Then I soak the decal in water, pull it out and move it on the paper so that I get a wrinkle (crease). Then I put the decal back in the water and soak it again so that the water gets under the crease and really gets in between the decal and the paper. Then I slide it off onto the wet surface with ease. Then I go through the process of using a brush to postion the decal and get rid of the excess water and air. Then I apply the Solvaset.

Problem solved, I'm just going to have to re-print the decals for the Nacelles and get rid of what's on there.

-Shawn :smoke: