Gah! Resin bubbles!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jonas Calhoun

Gah! Resin bubbles!

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I'm working on my first resin kit at the moment (Black Sun's Galactic Enemy), and going through the cleanup process right now.

There were only a couple of pinholes on it (less than 5), and they took Mr. Surfacer with no trouble.

My frustration came when I was cleaning up the points on the end. Right there was a pour stub, so I was sanding it down. Just as I finished sanding two sides, the last 1/8" broke off. There was a bubble there, and it just caused the resin to fail.

So now I get to learn how to put some Aves in there. It just shocked me when I had that piece break off.

(No, I'm not wanting a replacement or anything like that--it's not worth it, and this is more of a learning experience than anything that I can ask for--it's not going to be a tough fix, and it's one that will hit me with more resin kits later on. Better learn on something easy).

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Dan

It happens. I had a chip in the nacelle strut of my starcrafts refit. Not big, but enough to be noticed. Aves solved the problem and if I wouldn't have mentioned it, you would have never known.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Oh, I know it happens--and I want to stress I'm not upset in the least little bit.

It just surprised me with how well it disguised itself, and I was just in the middle of posting this when Mr. Badwrench walked in the door, so I wasn't able to check for tone.

It's such a little bit, I'll probably even get to pin it to make sure it stays on :D

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin