brushing and sealing pen ink?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

brushing and sealing pen ink?

Post by Digger1 »

First, is it possible to paint with squeezed out ball-point pen ink?

Also, will the ink dry enough to allow one to clear-coat it?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can buy ink at any art supply store. Real ink which you can brush, dilute, disperse in Future, or water etc. Don't futz with the ballpoint pens. That ink has solvents in it which keep it liquid until it hits the paper and sits for a while.

You can also buy disposable drafting pens. Micron is a good brand.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

Yeah Micron are very good.
mech

Post by mech »

Be careful with what ink you use. My experience has been, unfortunately, not good. The ink went on very well. even gloss coated ok. Upon application of the dull coat, it ran and smudged and turned a lighter color than what it had started out as. Overall effect....bad. :(

Me upon finding said results in morning ----------> :x
This effect was slow in the making, while wet the ink looked fine, it was as it dried overnight that it morphed into the mess i found.

j
Last edited by mech on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, you want to look for permanent, waterproof ink when you buy a drafting pen. THat's why I mentioned Micron. There are others, too. The ink can usually be removed with alcohol when dry, if you need.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

You should try gel ink pens available in many colors at any art or crafts store. They work great for weathering when smudged with a microbrush or cotton swab. Also great for windows or external lights. Allow a few minutes for the ink to dry and spray with lacquer. Never ran into a problem myself. If the ink is running, you may want to apply lighter spray coats.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Hobby Lobby sells small bottles of India ink; they frequently run 1/2 or 1/3 off sales on artists' paints and bottled inks. I airbrush brown and black ink to simulate exhaust stains and general griminess.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Let's say I wanted to use ball-point pen ink because of an effect I'd be able to get with it. How would I go about it?
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

jsnmech18 wrote:Be careful with what ink you use. My experience has been, unfortunately, not good. The ink went on very well. even gloss coated ok. Upon application of the dull coat, it ran and smudged and turned a lighter color than what it had started out as. Overall effect....bad. :(

Me upon finding said results in morning ----------> :x
This effect was slow in the making, while wet the ink looked fine, it was as it dried overnight that it morphed into the mess i found.

j

Did you use Testors Dullcote by chance?
I learned the hard way after making some decals with drafting ink.
Testors Dullcote being a Laquer based product just acts like a harsh solvent on the glue, thus making it run/dissolve.

I would use an acrylic gloss/dullcote and test it out first.

Then I wold still mist on very light coats until I was satisfied I could shoot a heavier final coat.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
mech

Post by mech »

mightymax wrote:
Did you use Testors Dullcote by chance?
I learned the hard way after making some decals with drafting ink.
Testors Dullcote being a Laquer based product just acts like a harsh solvent on the glue, thus making it run/dissolve.

I would use an acrylic gloss/dullcote and test it out first.

Then I wold still mist on very light coats until I was satisfied I could shoot a heavier final coat.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
That is correct sir. I have learned that leason well. I thought it would be okay seeing how the model had been oversprayed with gloss coats prior to the application of the dull. OOOPPPS.
There was much nashing of teeth, women were crying in the streets at the strife this had caused me. :evil:

However. I have "fiddled" with different inks, and stages of paint and seem to be okay now.

Thanks for the info though. Acrylic it is. (that was the first change I made.) :wink:

j