Will Plumbers putty stick to Vasaline?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Macdaddy4738

Will Plumbers putty stick to Vasaline?

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

Need to know quickly if its possible! The reasons why are long and confusing, just need to know if the 2 stick!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

No, it shouldn't.
That's a good way of keeping it off a surface you want to replicate or keep clear.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I presume you mean epoxy putty and not the paste product used to seal flanges etc....
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

i did indeed mean the paste stuff...

i needed something to mold the shape of an egg, stay semi soft and not crack...

the stuff was too hard and i managed to shatter the egg everywhere, I think im gonna use my Silicon Gel if i ever find it...
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I think an RTV rubber is your best choice for making a mold (Room Temperature Vulcanizing - although what Mr. Spock has to do with it I don't know.) Try Smooth-On.
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

I would but im extremely limited as to what I have here...

the project is due thursday and I have no time to get anything...busy every day up until then...

Ive got no idea what else to support the egg with too :(
woozle

Post by woozle »

I wonder if anybody has tried supporting an egg inside a chicken... :twisted:
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Yep. Check the thread.

MacDaddy, why not use common plasticine? (playdoh). It's plasticity will help cushion the impact by absorbing the energy. I would suggest using "noodles" of plasticine, because the space between strands would give the egg a less sudden deceleration. By the way, well cooked spaghetti would do a nice job too, albeit less effectively, but it's biodegradable.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

the playdoh idea sounds pretty good, I will see if I have any at home still!!

I think if I post pictures of the egg container it will make it eaiser to judge what could fit in the thing..
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Here's a question. Are you trying to protedt the egg from G shock? Like one of those 'can you keep an egg from smashing when we throw it 50 feet into a wall' tests? Or mold a copy of the egg? Or.... um.... something else?

To mold a copy of the egg, you could try simply punching two teeeeny holes in the ends, sucking/blowing out the contents, rinse it out, put it in the microwave to dry it, and then pour in whatever you're trying to make into an egg shape.
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

im trying to protect the egg from a 30 foot drop.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

AH! Right....

Get a big skein of fluffy yarn, and a little super glue. Loosely wind a ball of yarn around the egg, using a touch of SG where neended to keep it from unraveling. Fluffy being the key here.

Or a couple'a cans of 'Great Stuff' and apply thin shells of GS to the outside of the egg - thin so it can expand OUT and not crush the egg. Once you have a shell 2 inches thick, make 'spikes' as first impulse buffers to take the initial shock - the inner shell has to be thick enough to support the spikes so they don't jar inward.

Wrap many layers of CRUMPLED paper around the egg, and put the bunch into another BIG shopping bag.

Wrap many layers of CRUMPLED plastic shopping bags and stuff the result into another big plastic bag. (One way I pack my models for moving is in a nest of plastic bags.)

Get a bag of 'pillow batting' and place the egg in the middle of layers of the stuff, and another plastic bag.

The object here is to INCREASE surface area for aerobreaking using wind resistance (keeping the speed down is always a good idea) and DECREASE the ratio of mass to surface area (using fluffy / low mass components) again to keep speed down while providing cushioning.

You could always boil the egg first, and use one of the above. (Which is probably frowned on.)

HTH
naoto

Post by naoto »

Typically in Egg Drop contests, the rules generally state that modification of the egg is not allowed (e.g. boiling).
* The egg you are to use in your device is provided to you by an official. * That same egg must be presented to the official in unbroken state after the drop.
Encasing the egg inside a block of resin (or similar substance) is generally not allowed -- unless you can successfully extract the egg without breaking the egg.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

yea i cannot do anything to the egg itself..just to the container
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

On the other thread, you mentioned "'Lunar' lander". Is it a "lunar", i.e. no aerodynamic effects, or just a "lander", parachute and whatnot?
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
naoto

Post by naoto »

The typical "background story" given in some variations of the Egg Drop contest:
Contratulations! Your company has been chosen as a candidate for a contract for a "lander" that is to safely land a special "instrumentation package" (the egg) on some far-off planet (assume there is an atmosphere). The design of the "instrumentation package" has already been frozen, so you can't redesign it (i.e. you can't modify the egg). Due to the sensitive nature of this "instrumentation package", sufficient protection must be provided for it by the "lander" (the egg approximates the "shock-sensitivity" of this "instrumentation package"). Since the "instrumentation package" must be able to perform its function of taking various measurements and transmit its data, you can't really bury the "instrumentation package" inside a solid material (say, a block of resin).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

Yea basically!

Thing is my teacher really gave us an instrument package! Besides the egg we have to carry a BUNCH of other stuff...random science stuff, including a circut board which has to be protected too..

anyways, my "airbags" are finished. Basically the whole lander is mounted on a pyramid of plastic drink bottles
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Can you post photos? I would like to see all this.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!