I'm getting a new workbench for Christmas!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

I'm getting a new workbench for Christmas!

Post by Digger1 »

Yay! \:D/

My fiancee and I talked about it last night. With some re-arranging of the living room, we concluded that we could fit a workbench in here comfortably.

I'm debating on getting the same one I had or the slightly more expensive one at Home Depot.

I don't know why'n the heck they don't have the benches on their site ](*,) but I think I'd be partial to the one I had before that I showed most of you all several months ago.

There's a lamp at Linens N Things that I want. But, of course, they don't have that on their site, either. :\

Now, then. I want to protect the beaver-puke (particleboard) work surface with a blotter or a piece of plexi. Any clue as to whether my local glass company would be able to cut lexan to fit?
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Marcal wrote::evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I know! I hate it when retail sites don't have the products they carry in the stores!
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Babaganoosh wrote:
I know! I hate it when retail sites don't have the products they carry in the stores!
No, I meant I hate you... I'm still working on my desk...
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Oh.

Do you hate me as much as lima beans or beets? <---that's what I'd tell my kid if they said, "I hate you!" Although, I could go the co-dependant psych angle, "Now, that's a hurt word. Remember we talked about hurt words?"

just yanking your crank. You'll get one and when you do, you can show it off.
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

Marcal wrote:
Babaganoosh wrote:
No, I meant I hate you... I'm still working on my desk...
Ah don't worry, you're not alone :\ i work on my desk too beside my comp. My girlfriend as agree that we should have at least a room for my modeling need but that's a good 2 year from now so .... so until then :rifles: no one mess with my desk :!:
Do or do not, there is no trying!

Building :[/color] 1/72 E-Wing http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n162 ... 2%20scale/

More at : http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n162/Locke_333/
woozle

Post by woozle »

You get to... build models in the house? Where it's warm? Wow, lucky you! Heh, just kidding. I was told that I could do what I wished, with the garage. It's amazing how quickly the wife couldn't park her car in it any more. :D
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Baba!

Any large plastics supplier can cut a sheet of lexan to fit. But if you add in their 'cutting charges' it might be cheaper to get a full 4 x 8 sheet and cut it your self. Carefully. Then you'd have extra lexan for when the first piece gets to grunged up. Or for building really solid big models. Or replacaing a broken window. Or making an aquarium. Or....

One suggestion - check for 'drop stock' or pieces left over from someone elses 'cut to fit' project. Those bits are usually much cheaper than usual. In fact, see if they handle styrene and have any drop stock of that. That's one way I got a LOT of styrene sheet (in odd thicknesses} for my old modeling club.

Free.

We traded old styrene computer cases on a pound for pound basis.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Or while your at Home Depot, go over to the plastics department (window screen section) and buy a sheet of plexi the size you need. Quick and simple.

HTH

Dennis
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Plexi is nice, as you can place plans or reference pictrues beneath it. However, you will have to be careful with acrylic as you can scratch it easily and affect it with solvents etc. Another option is to put linoleum on the particle board, it's pretty resistant and makes a good cutting surface. The smooth stuff does, anyway.

You can always put a sheet of plexi atop that.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Here's the workbench I'm getting
http://www.gorillarack.com/products/wor ... 201902%20B

Same as the last one. We're getting it transfered from Auburn to Augusta. Buying dorect from the company would be like $60 something but the shipping would be $50 something. Best to buy it at the store and save $30.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Truly an altar to Aves.

Aves be praised!! Methyl Ethyl Ketones in the Highest.

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'll tell you what you should do, Baba.

The shelf between the legs is great for heavy stuff you don't have to move much - like a compressor etc. BUT, you'll be more comfortable being able to sit closer to the table - and you'll bang your knees on that shelf.

So...

Get a piece of 3/4" or thicker plywood cut the same width of the table, but about 16" deeper. Bolt it to the table. You'll be much more comfortable - and if that plywood gets all messed up over the years you can easily replace it. You could even consider putting a bit of half-round on the edge to make it more comfortable, though there are advantages to having a straight edge.

And if you want a really durable surface, coat the plywood in Envirotex Light. Ooooh, baby.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati