Spray adhesive for turf

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Bomech1

Spray adhesive for turf

Post by Bomech1 »

Anybody ever used spray adhesive for ground work? If so how'd it work?
Brian
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

If I remember my 2nd grade crafts class, just use brushed on elmer's glue and sprinkle on the turf and shake it aroung for good coverage.

The spray stuff is low-tack but will work nicely for simulated turf given that it'll lay down an even ans snooth layer of adhesive.
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Thanks Babs. Just a thought that was rolling around. I don't know of any sprayons that self level do you or anyone?
Brian
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Most spray ons I've used behaved like flat paint, only more so. The self leveling concept wasn't really applicable: it sticks where it lands, and doesn't need to go on thick enough for self leveling to enter the equation, for good or ill. Applications can afford be a little less than perfectly even because the stuff that's going on top will natually cover all that.

I like spray adhesive better for ground cover than brush-on glues, because it preserves the look of dry materials (desert sand, dry leaves, etc). I find the brush on glues like to soak into dry materials laid on top of them, giving stuff that's supposed to look dry a damp look instead.

Not all spray adhesive is low-tack. The stuff that's sold at craft and hobby places is usually kinda pathetic. Check hardware stores instead, that's where you'll find the good, durable stuff.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
woozle

Post by woozle »

With the grass turf, I've had good luck, with watered-down white glue and a drop fo dish soap, from a spray bottle.

There's another grass affect that you may not have considered. For fantasy minitures, small-grit sand looks cool as grass. White-glued down, painted green, with a darker wash and lighter dry-brushing, it doesn't really look exactly like grass, but looks great around fantasy miniatures. Kinda-like a cartoon effect.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)