Seeking advice on types of putty to use

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Where's the little lighter holding emoticon when one needs it.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There was a young man from Biloxi,
Whose models lacked any moxy.
Then one day he tried,
On advice well scryed,
The putty called Aves Epoxy.

I'm not so good at Hiaku.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TER-OR wrote:There was a young man from Biloxi,
Whose models lacked any moxy.
Then one day he tried,
On advice well scryed,
The putty called Aves Epoxy.

I'm not so good at Hiaku.
Bishop Terry tried
Composing Aves Haiku.
"Nay," said Ter with five.

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

...you guys sure this stuff is non toxic?
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yeah, I mix it into with my salsa all the time.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

As I have pointed out previously, non-toxic does not mean edible...Erin.

Terry Miesle
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

BUUUURP!

The only drawback is getting it out from between yer teeth.....

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

...you sure you dont mean "telling it apart <i>from</i> your teeth"? how hard does this stuff get, anyway?

wish i had some now... i need to make a rather compound curve for a wingtip, but all i have is sheet styrene and squadron green. i think i know what i'll do, but boy do i wish i didnt need to.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Rock hard. Once it sets... it's set. You can sand it, but not sculpt it.

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

If you make a master from something easily worked, like balsa or even foam, you can roll epoxy putty out like pie crust, using talc or corn starch as a lubricant, and lay the sheet over the master. It will cure to that shape, then you can rinse off the lubricant with water and prepare the surface as you need.

We really need to make an e-demo for these techniques....

Terry Miesle
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Maybe Limestone hard, but definetly not granite hard. It sands easily enough when set up. Kinda like, like, uh, well epoxy putty!

And it's definetly not poisonous. Maybe not good for ya, but it I feel fine and I've had a bunch of it in my mouth (to clarify, I'm talking about AVES APOXYSCULPT!!!) over the years. Mainly from wetting my fingers with saliva while sculpting, but occasionally chewing up a ball of it to freak folks out. Aint never swallowed it, though. At least not a goodly quantity of it anyways....

Erin
<*>
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

good to know. i'll certainly be picking some up then... once i have... money.

DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Me too. My 4lb kit is almost gone. Took 3 years to empty it. I think I'll try a different color next time around....

Erin
<*>
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

The stuff is in fact non toxic.. what you're seeing is the Aves Effect...most of us are so amazed at this stuff that it makes us a bit loopy.

Yes, the stuff is very hard when cured. I was concerned because I had some unwanted blobs of stuff that had cured. Well, I just sanded those blobs back down to nothing, and it did not take long.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Anyone care to mention anything about the smell? I've never used it, but the Bondo stuff can give me a splitting headache from the smell. Tamiya is NO better. Given that animals are generally more sensitive and have better noses than us human types I'm betting the cats don't appreciate the fumes either.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

big-dog wrote:Anyone care to mention anything about the smell? I've never used it, but the Bondo stuff can give me a splitting headache from the smell. Tamiya is NO better. Given that animals are generally more sensitive and have better noses than us human types I'm betting the cats don't appreciate the fumes either.
Aves smells like corn chips.

I'm not kidding, it really does. In a pinch I tried molding it into little Fritos but they were too hard to eat.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Bondo, squadron and similar putties dry as thier organic solvents evaporate. These are usually the ever-freindly Toluene. Yum.

Epoxy putties cure through catalytic dehydration. The corn chip smell is an amine chemical which scavenges the water catalyzing the reaction. The two parts are mixed together and built into long polymers. There's no evaporative solvent.

Terry Miesle
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

another aves question guys. how long does the stuff take to be sandable?

i wasworking with some squadron green (finishing the tube before i get some aves...) and "dries fast" is ...not accurate. i wasnt using thick layers or such, just trying to smooth out an angled joint of styrene... well, me in my impatience sanded too soon (about 5 hours after applying the putty) and, well... it wasnt done yet. the underlying styrene is a bit soft and plyable, and the putty has cracked right along the very joint i was trying to cover. argh! i can fix it, sure. more putty, more patience. let it sit over night, like i've done before... i'm just wonderign how aves is in this regard. thanks guys.

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Arklan wrote:another aves question guys. how long does the stuff take to be sandable?

i wasworking with some squadron green (finishing the tube before i get some aves...) and "dries fast" is ...not accurate. i wasnt using thick layers or such, just trying to smooth out an angled joint of styrene... well, me in my impatience sanded too soon (about 5 hours after applying the putty) and, well... it wasnt done yet. the underlying styrene is a bit soft and plyable, and the putty has cracked right along the very joint i was trying to cover. argh! i can fix it, sure. more putty, more patience. let it sit over night, like i've done before... i'm just wonderign how aves is in this regard. thanks guys.
The first thing I would say here is to forsake the Squadron. Amen? Five hours should be enough time for Squadron. Bondo, which is the same thing as Squadron, but better, can be sanded in an hour. If you have enough putty applied such that you have diiferent levels of dryness, then you've probably applied it a little too thick. The cracking is from outgassing; the top coats dry and the bottom layer of putty is still wet with solvent (lacquer) which is trying to escape. The escaping lacquer fumes bursts through the top dried layer, cracking it. Lacquer-based putties can be used, but should only be used in thin layers, and only for imperfections, and never for anything structural.

Aves, on the other hand, is an epoxy putty. It fixes two components, producing amine compounds and water (I think - ask Terry). You can build it up, and as long as it's mixed properly, you'll never have any drying/cracking issues. This has to do with the nature of the putty - it's long amine chains (right, Ter?) versus Bondo/Squadron which is essentially putty solute suspended in solvent.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

helps very much. thanks. i'll order some aves soon as i get paid next week...

TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

The amine is a catalyst, it binds water - the polymerization is a dehydration reaction. Don't think drying, it's a catalyzed dehydration - so like making starch from glucose. The solvent putties rely on evaporation, which is why you can't apply too much at once, or you'll dry the surface but leave solvent deep below where it will only very slowly diffuse out - frelling your paint....

Tips for large areas - make sure the surfaces aren't glass smooth. If possible, drill some small holes and put a few pins in place. This will help anchor the putty. If nothing else, score the area with a knife or scribe to increase surface area. It won't shrink, so you don't have to worry about wrenching it. You can fill the big area, then use slightly diluted putty to skate the surface and make it smooth.

Terry Miesle
octagon

Post by octagon »

I am using the Tamiya (White) Pla Plate 0.5 and 1mm for my scracthbuild. Man have I got holes to fill.

Does anyone know if the Apoxie Sculpt would work as well?
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

It could, if you thin to a paste and skate it across the top.

If they're more like pinholes, Gunze-Sangyo Mr. Surfacer 500 might be a better option.

Terry Miesle
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Thanks for the replies, sounds like something worth looking into. Dougal certainly thinks so.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks TER-OR. Will give it a shot!
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

is this stuff brushable? ya know thin it to be brushed on a foam for a coating?
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Try the ApoxyPaste for smoothing and skimming if you don't mind spending on it. It's the same exact stuff, but already thinned out. I've used it a lot as of late and it's really great stuff. It will flow if put on too thick, though. It's really good for filling sealed voids in scratchbuilds. I put it in a pastry bag and squeezed it into the hul of a kit I'm scratching and it filled it up real nice and solid. Also used it fill some nasty surface scratches in the outer hull. Just skimmed and then sanded smooth, easy peasy.

Erin
<*>
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

skimmed ....... screed?
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Skimmed, screed, scraped, squeegied, smeared, whatever you wanna call it. Smooth it out after an hour or so with a brush.

Erin
<*>
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

i'm practically drooling at the possibilities... thats exactly the sort of thing i need for the model i'm working on currently...