will future help protect fragile decals ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

will future help protect fragile decals ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I applied some very thin, fragile decals to my pl jupiter 2, and i want to keep them in place so they don't rub off like a couple did. i used model master decal set unnder them and a small amount on top to get them lined up and any small wrinkles out i put on a couple a week ago and wanted to remove a damaged one yesterday and found all i had to do was rub my finger across it. once these new ones dry, can i brush some future on top and around the decaled part and without harming the decal, and will this be any help in protecting the decals from rubbing off ? :shock:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yes, you should always topcoat your decals with clear to protect them. And that way you can also apply washes over them.

Depending on the model I will either airbrush the whole thing with Future or just the panel which has the decal.

BUT BE WARNED. The Future will not prevent the decal from being lifted with masking tape. Be very very carful masking over decals.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

won't be doing any masking but just need to protect the decals they are very fragile and thin and very small. how long do i need to wait to apply the future ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

TER-OR wrote:Yes, you should always topcoat your decals with clear to protect them. And that way you can also apply washes over them.

Depending on the model I will either airbrush the whole thing with Future or just the panel which has the decal.

BUT BE WARNED. The Future will not prevent the decal from being lifted with masking tape. Be very very carful masking over decals.
Man did I find this one out the hard way. :(
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

but will the future keep the decals in place permanately ?how long do i need to wait to future the decals ? :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can do it as soon as the decal is mostly dry. The decal setting solutions usually don't cause problems, but the more agressive ones can cause the Future to haze.

What I usually do is wait overnight, and if i'm happy with the decal, how it conformed to the details, how it's placed and everything, I'll overcoat.
But first, I'll use a clean bit of paper towel and clean water and clean the area, removing excess adhesive which might remain on the surface. Right after that, a cotton swab or brush can be used to apply the Future. Or, if it's right for the model, I'll airbrush the area or whole thing. Then, on to panel washes, another sealant coat, details, dullcoat if requred.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i want to let them dry for a couple of days, these were aftermarket decals and they were difficult to apply, they had to be cut out and placed in water and transferred to decal paper with white backing then after a few days cut out and dipped in water and then applied. the decals would not stay stuck on the white decal backing and would seperate. the decals are transparent if not backed with the white backing. they can easily be rubbed off or torn from the surface so i want to protect them from that as best i can. i want to gently brush some future over them so they will stay put permanately :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER