Easiest spray booth ever

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sft2

Easiest spray booth ever

Post by Sft2 »

After a bunch of priming and basecoating, my garage floor has a layer of black, which, grey, and silver dust everywhere, and tracking it into the house doesn't tend to increase the wife's serenity level, so I had to come up with something. Ingredients are a box fan and a furnace filter. Measure box fan and get a filter that will cover the entire intake side of it. Extra hanging over makes no difference. Set up the fan blowing away from you, stick the filter to the intake side using nothing more than air pressure (it will stay on there until you turn off the fan), and get to painting. I used it all day yesterday and there is zero dust on the floor. I'm using a cheap blue floss filter, but a pleated filter may do a better job if you're shooting mor volatile stuff at higher pressure. I was using heavily thinned acrylic at 15 psi, so there wasn't much of a cloud anyway.
Steve

There's something unwholesome about a kit that has only 11 pieces, but 89 decals covering 90% of the surface.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Where is it blowing to? Or are you saying the filter traps all the particulates? If so, that's awesome.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yeah, that'd be one hell of a furnace filter.
Abolish Alliteration
Sft2

Post by Sft2 »

I doubt it traps everything, but it traps more than nothing and there was no overspray on the fan blades or the floor. I just aimed it out the garage door. There are furnace filters that claim to trap stuff smaller than pigment particles, but they don't fit into my single digit budget. I need to spray some lacquer, which is the usual cause of overspray on my floor, so I'll see how well it works.
Steve

There's something unwholesome about a kit that has only 11 pieces, but 89 decals covering 90% of the surface.