Lighting the TARDIS

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

ModlrMike

Lighting the TARDIS

Post by ModlrMike »

I've recently completed my first scratch build TARDIS which can be seen in the On The Bench forum. I would like to build a circuit to control the flashing light on top. I've never done electronics before and find the information on the net very confusing. I understand that a 555 timer chip with a capacitor and some resistors is the way to go.

Is there a preferred model out there for an easy to build circuit? There's an LED dimmer here (http://www.instructables.com/id/47-proj ... ith-a-555/) that might do the trick, but I don't understand the schematic. There's also a circuit called Laser Ray that incorporates light an sound.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards...
Michael
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

you could canabilize the TARDIS coin bank that's available out there.... You'd have sound that way too.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

If you just want a simple blinking light, try using a "SELF BLINKING LED". It's just an LED with a built in blinking chip. All you have to do is apply power ( usually 3 volts or 5 volts depending on the LED ) and the LED starts blinking. The self-blinkers come in all sizes from 3 mm to 10 mm diameter, and all the usual colours.

Self blinking LEDs are available from:
ALL Electronics ( www.allelectronics.com )
the Electronic Goldmine ( www.goldmine-elec.com )
JAMECO ( www.jameco.com )

and others.

Here's one in particular from the Electronic Goldmine -
SALE! - Super Bright Flashing Giant 10mm Blue LED G16424: $1.99
Crystal clear lens giant 10mm LED flashes brightly from a built in IC. Operate from 3VDC or can be used with a 9V battery if you connect an 82 ohm resistor in series with one of the leads. At 3VDC the flash rate is about 2X per second. G16424
SALE ITEM - Regularly: $ 2.99 ea. Sale Price: $ 1.99 ea. Sale Ends 2/28/2011