Tamiya Color Spray Paint Clear TS-79. Is it really a Lacquer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Maschinen Krueger

Tamiya Color Spray Paint Clear TS-79. Is it really a Lacquer

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

Like the subject asks. Is the Tamiya rattle can Clear Semi Gloss TS-79 a lacquer lacquer or is it some kind of enamel lacquer? I applied a clear coat from the spray can and later applied a couple of MIG filters and the surface is kinda tacky in some spots.

The Tamiya site says they are lacquers, but I've been able to affect their German Gray with Turpenoid.

Guess I'll just have to set the model aside for a few days/week and hope for the best.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

From what I understand Tamiya paints are a proprietary synthetic lacquer and not a organic traditional lacquer....the two do not always mix well.
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

synthetic huh? Most interesting. Guess I'll stick with Gunze spray cans for now on.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Most, if not all, clear coats now are synthetic. Jest go buys some JW Etc's polyurethane clear coat and use it.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

You have three main kinds of lacquers:

1.) Nitrocelluose lacquers derived from cotton and other celluose stuff. Basically, they add add nitrogen to the cellulose laden stuff and you get long chains of molecules. They're placed in some other binders (ask Terry or Robb which ones), some pigment's added, and the corresponding emulsification floats in solvent soup of xylene, toluene and some other harsh solvents.

2.) Acrylic lacquers are synthetic polymers akin to nitrocellulose and they are mixed with the binders and pigments as above. But, depending upon the binders used, they are emulsified in either "traditional" lacquer thinner (xylene, toluene, etc...) or they are emulsified with things ranging from isopropyl alcohol to water to panda saliva. Ask a chemist (like Terry) for the specifics. Urethanes fall into this category - they are emulsified with water and/or alcohols and other water soluble stuff.

3.) Water-based lacquers are more synthetic lacquers. These guys are made to be only emulifiable (is that a word) in water. Why? It has something to do with the molarity of the lacquer polymer and the fact that Mercury was in retrograde when they were invented. the point is that only one family of binder can be used with the base family of polymers, thus making them exclusively water-based.

The point of the above rant every lacquer is a lacquer lacquer. Unfortunately the term enamel has lost all meaning. It used to mean oil-based paint. Now it means everything forming a shell when dry. Lacquers, on the other hand, refer to a discrete family of polymers - some natural and some artificial - added to binders, solvent and pigment; these polymers crosslink and form a hard shell. The question then is could all colored lacquers be considered enamels? :-k

As for turpenoid, I'd never considered using them with lacquers as turpenoid is pretty weak anyway. I use it with oils, when I use oils to keep the thinned oils from eating through Future. Future is, itself, an acrylic lacquer.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Thanks Kenny.....thought I was back in chemistry class! :D Good to know at any rate!
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Watch out for Testors Super gloss "Wet Look" clear! Its a true Laquer and man is it hot. I had it ruin a great paint job on a figure... crinkled the paint as I watched. It was very sad.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert