Home made decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

geck

Home made decals

Post by geck »

Since the ALPS line of printers are no longer being made and I don't feel like pursuing one in an auction, what are some of you doing to make your own decals?

Specifically what are you doing about decals that have to have white in them?

I am aware of the white backed decal paper (and have some of it), but that doesn't do any good for making white images on clear decal paper...
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

There is a laser that prints white.....the complete set up was about $5000 last time I checked it. Then there is screen printing. Other than those options and white decal paper......that's about it.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You could pick one up from NZ: http://www.alps-supplies.com/

I use JT Graphics to print mine.
Abolish Alliteration
geck

Post by geck »

Ouch...$1000. I don't need the capability that bad.

Thanks for the info though.

I'll try JT graphics and see what they say...

You would think that HP, Kodak, or Cannon would make a printer with white ink printing capability at some point. They already do gray for pete's sake.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

You can make two part decals, or you can design the decals to be printed on the white paper, with a block of your background color around the design. This isn't really a practical way to go if you are applying the decals to a metallic surface, however.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
psytce

Post by psytce »

One way you may be able to do it is use the clear decal paper and mask off the decal area on the model and paint it white. This is really only good for the larger models, but if you are really good at masking and painting you may be able to do it .....

Or you can get your Alps printer like I did, a friend of mine had the 1300 in his closet for the last few years and one day when I was over his house I saw it. Well we got to talking about it and he was nice enough to give it to me for my Birthday (Dec. 29). So now I need to learn how to use the printer and also learn how to create my own decals. I've already learned how to use Illustrator for the lettering. I just need to see of I can also make some of the other decals ....

Good Luck,
Tommy
geck

Post by geck »

I am conversing with JT grahpics about what I need...

Just waiting to hear back from him...

I thought about blocking with another color (and printing on white decal paper), but cutting out the image I need will be a royal pain (compound curves in very small areas). Painting it would be even worse as I just could not get the crispness of silk-screened decals (unless this was like 1/12 scale...it's 1/48).

Thanks for the suggestions...