UV-activated glue?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

UV-activated glue?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I saw this on How It's Made and I thought this stuff would be good for gluing canopies. I do have some questions about it:

Is it expensive?
Does it cure fast or slow?
Does it work well or poorly on styrene or resins?
Are there any particular advantages to using this glue?
Are there any disadvantages?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

I want voice activated glue, you hold the parts together and say "dry" (or set or cure etc.)
I have no signature.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Tamiya has a UV curing putty that would work as a gle, except that it's yellow when cured.

What's wrong with PVA, or better yet, Eatch crystal cement? This stuff is next to invisible when cured.

Another option would be Gator-Grip - it's a type of PVA that is much stickier right out of the bottle.
naoto

Post by naoto »

NNYGamer wrote:I want voice activated glue, you hold the parts together and say "dry" (or set or cure etc.)
What would also be handy is voice-command activation would allow for de-bonding too... That way you could say "release" and it would de-bond. Of course, this might not be good adhesive to use for costume worn by a cosplayer dressing up as Sakura Kinomoto...

And what about with vice-activated glue? The problem of course would be that it would probably set off even before we have a chance to use it?
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
MillenniumFalsehood

PVA doesn't stick well enough to suit me. I've had more than one canopy or window become permanently entrapped in a model which required major surgery to extract, which has had the effect of permanently putting me off of PVA glues for plastic modeling of any kind.

I mainly want the UV glue because I want a near-instant cure for precision joints.

macfrank

Post by macfrank »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote: I mainly want the UV glue because I want a near-instant cure for precision joints.
It's not instant - it takes about 5 minutes in strong sunlight to harden and about 10 minutes under a UV light source, 15 - 20 under a fluorescent bulb. The Tamiya putty cures to a light yellow.

There's a UV setting car repair putty made by Bondo - It's in another thread - it may be worth trying.
MillenniumFalsehood

Really? Are you sure it's the glue? The type used on HiM set in about five seconds under a strong UV source. Well, it was strong enough to handle. Probably not set, but it was . . . 'stiff'.

macfrank

Post by macfrank »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Really? Are you sure it's the glue? The type used on HiM set in about five seconds under a strong UV source. Well, it was strong enough to handle. Probably not set, but it was . . . 'stiff'.
The Tamiya putty takes a while to cure. It may form a skin, but will have soft spots underneath (discovered by poking it every few seconds while out on the balcony - "Is it cured? No. Is it cured? No. How about now? Nope...."

The stuff dentists use does set in seconds. This company makes a UV setting adhesive that sets in seconds and cures in minutes. Endmund Optics (used to be Edmund Scientific) sells it - expensive stuff ($25/oz)
MillenniumFalsehood

Well, I guess if I only use it for cockpit canopies, as I plan to do, $25 an ounce may go a long way. :oops:

macfrank

Post by macfrank »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Well, I guess if I only use it for cockpit canopies, as I plan to do, $25 an ounce may go a long way. :oops:
You should try the Watch Crystal cement first - it's cheap, lasts forever, crystal clear and holds firmly almost as soon as the two surfaces are pressed together.