Canopy problem

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

azdave

Canopy problem

Post by azdave »

Hi,
I walked on our canopy for the X-wing that we are building for our school project and broke it in several pieces. I think it would look bad if I glued the pieces back together. My Dad has been on the site before asking questions on building, etc. I'm dead with out it. We are building the Pro Shop Xwing. It's coming together well, but I need the canopy to close the model with glue. How can we make another? Or can we use one from another kit that is cheap and easy to get? We don't need it to go up and down. We left the motor out.

Thanks,
Ken
Thanks,
Dave
walter

Post by walter »

use some clear plastic to make a new canopy, you can glue the broke one together to use as a pattern.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

First of all, glue the canopy back together.

After that, depending on your skills you can:

a) smash mold (thermoform) a new one over the original;

b) make an RTV mold and a resin copy;

c) use it as a template to build a new one from flat clear plastic (as all X-Wing cockpit 'glass' panels are flat, though actually in the FX miniatures, there was no glass, just the frame to avoid reflections while filming).

Each method had its pros and cons. Look about the forums for hints on each method. Method a is the easiest, b is kinda expensive, c will give you the best possible results.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Or, send me a PM as I have an extra. :8)
azdave

Post by azdave »

So can I just cut three pieces of clear plastic from a template that I made from the broken canopy? There is a fram that looks like it is molded to the three panels. How can I paint that area on the canopy?
Thanks,
Dave
walter

Post by walter »

azdave wrote:So can I just cut three pieces of clear plastic from a template that I made from the broken canopy? There is a fram that looks like it is molded to the three panels. How can I paint that area on the canopy?
yes
azdave

Post by azdave »

OK. Will give it a try.
Thanks,
Dave
dwomby

Post by dwomby »

azdave wrote:So can I just cut three pieces of clear plastic from a template that I made from the broken canopy? There is a fram that looks like it is molded to the three panels. How can I paint that area on the canopy?
Depends on the level of your skills. I don't mean to offend but if you are concerned about your modelling skills, you may want to try this simple way.

Lay strips of sello or Scotch tape onto some some clean glass or metal. Then paint the tape the colour of the frame. Then using a sharp knife and a steel edge (steel rule is best) cut the painted tape into smaller strips. Pull the small strips you have made off the glass or metals and stick it onto the canopy where the frames should be. If the small strips are too long, just cut off the excess after they have been attached to the canopy.

David
David A. Womby
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Okay, since everyone else is throwing their hats in the ring, here's my fedora . . .

1) Glue the canopy back together and wait for the glue to dry.

2) Hold each facet (the flat planes the canopy is made of) onto a piece of cardboard (the solid stuff, not corrugated).

3) Trace each facet and cut them out.

4) Glue them to a piece of clear styrene with Elmers white glue.

5) Wait for the glue to dry and score the pieces carefully with an exacto.

6) Pop them out and glue them together one at a time. Be sure to let each section dry before gluing the next piece.

7) Glue strips of styrene to the edges of the canopy for the frame (or f you want a quicker method, use label tape).

If you need explanations for any of that, don't hesitate to ask. :wink:
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!