Painting before or after assembly?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jokkocze

Painting before or after assembly?

Post by Jokkocze »

I'm beginning to get back into modelling, just bought myself a PzKpfw-1 for training (oh by the way, anyone know of any WW2-modelling-community?), and I'm trying to decider weather to prime (spray) it before taking it off the sprue or after putting the main body together.
As I see it, both techniques have their ups and downs, so now I'm asking you guys.

Tips on priming are also welcome.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I usually spray a coat of primer on while the parts are on the trees. I like to build and paint in sub-assemblies, and this helps move the process along. Depending on the kit, and the amount of filling and sanding I need, I will sometimes need to re-prime a section or assembly, but especially with aircraft, it makes it easier to paint details and add decals before everything gets into final assembly and you need to start working around air intakes, weapons, etc.

ALSO, keep the clear parts off of the model until the very end. I usually fully detail the cockpit and install it before the fuse is finished, then mask the whole thing off, and don't touch it again until I'm ready to install the canopy, AFTER the final clear coat and weathering is complete on the rest of the model.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If I'm to prime I do it on the model, not on the sprue.

But that's jest me.
Abolish Alliteration
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

It depends on the model and the size of the parts. I tend to paint small pieces still on the tree but larger pieces will be assembled and then primed.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
ryoga

Post by ryoga »

tonyG2 wrote:It depends on the model and the size of the parts. I tend to paint small pieces still on the tree but larger pieces will be assembled and then primed.
Same here. For larger pieces, its better to prime them after assembly so you can detect "fault" areas esp arounf the seam lines - usually only requires some minor sanding or fill in.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Depends here, too - but mainly, I like to build and finish major parts (like a tank hull or the turret) before painting, esp. when I use spray. Thereafter, details follow. It really depends on the kit and how it is supposed to be assemble. But I'd give parts on the sprue only a basic paint or a primer coat, at best, because you will have flaws after assembly (and cutting off the pieces from the sprue).
jedi_modeler

What kind of primer

Post by jedi_modeler »

What kind of primer do you use?
Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.

— Serbian proverb
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Who?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.