Is it a bad idea to use 8 year old decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Not at all. Decals, if stored properly, should still be fine.

Check them for cracking. If they look cracked, give them a spray of clear while still on the paper. This will hold them together, and help reduce the chance of them shattering.

If the clear bit of the decal around the colour bits has yellowed, you can expose them to UV light, and that will help reduce the yellowing. Leave them on a counter or window sill, and the sunshine in. :) Just make sure they will not be subject to any moisture, of course.

If there is a small decal you could live without on the sheet, try it first before tackling the bigger bits. I have some that were ~30 years old, and went on fine. I applied them crooked, but that's operator error. :oops:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

If you can get new decals go with them. But I use vintage decals that are not replaceable all the time. But there are a number of things you can do. If there is a decal not needed for your project try and use it. If it works you may be OK. It really depends on how the decal has been stored for 8 years. To increase the likelihood the decals will work you can use Micro scale decal film. If you don't have it you can use a thin coat of spray clear like Testors. Careful application, warm water with a tiny bit of soap and gentle application will go a long way. 8 year old decals are not really old.
Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

Thanks all for the quick reply.

Iv been using the acreation decals and these polar lights decals seems really shiny. Will my metalizer sealer blend it in? I hate the decal to look like an obviously shiny thing on the surface
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I use 60 year old decals all the time- sunlight will bleach out any yellow carrier, and a light spray of Krylon Crystal Clear over the sheet will keep them together- just cut the individual pieces apart before soaking. Soak 'em, Slide 'em, Stick 'em as the Jaco-Lac sheets say.