Magnet Question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Magnet Question

Post by starmanmm »

Been checking on using magnets for a kit and notice references like "N34" or "N54"....

My question is... does the "N" stand for the strength of the magnet?

If so, then I would guess that the higher the number the stronger the magnet?
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

I would guess neodynium. Seems logical the number would indicate strength...
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Scott Hasty wrote:I would guess neodynium. Seems logical the number would indicate strength...
This is correct. The letter is the magnet type (Neodymium) and the number is the strength grade. I believe they go from 24 to 54. At least that seems to be the most common range.

-Rog
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ok... gives me an better idea of what I am looking at.

Thanks All!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Neodymium magnet tips:

#1 - keep your fingers clear of big Nd magnets. They pinch and it hurts like a mother.

#2 - don't let them hit one another strongly because it can nick the chrome layer covering them and they may oxidize (turning into a crumbly, weak gray dust).

#3 - glue them with epoxy, and cover them well and thoroughly with it (to provide further protection against oxidation).

#4 - try not to swallow them.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Covering epoxie over the magnets won't interfer with their ability to work?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

starmanmm wrote:Covering epoxie over the magnets won't interfer with their ability to work?
No. All you need is a thin skin a millimeter or two thick. Here's an illustration to give you an idea of how strong these things are: If you swallowed two of them a few minutes apart, thus allowing one to enter your duodenum and then small intestine a few minutes before the other, they would pull together and clamp so violently as to rupture the stomach and instestine.

Enjoy!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

And if you are going to use them to hold two parts together, make sure their polarities align properly, or better, use one magnet in one part and a steel plate, rod, pin or whatever in the other part, this way you don't have to worry about polarity.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

My plan was to use steel opposite the magnet.