Decals before or after application of testors gloss cote

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

Decals before or after application of testors gloss cote

Post by muir318 »

Hello again guys!
As i have said in previous posts i am new to the hobby and before i start on my various star wars kits i have bought i thought i would practice first on a generic plane kit to practice my seam filling, puttying,sanding etc etc,

My question is do i add the decals before or after i add a spray of testors gloss cote?

Thanks in advance for all answers!
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Gloss
Decal
Gloss
Dull

This can vary depending on how you weather your model
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Testors or just about any brand of gloss coat will yellow over time, and about the only exception to that is Future floor polish. It costs about 5 or 6 dollars for a good sozed bottle and it cleans up with water because it's acrilic based and it can be run through an airbrush.
Normal?? What is normal??
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Reason for glosscoating before decals is that matte, flat, paints have a surface which under a microscope looks like sandpaper - that is how they break up light reflection.

Laying a decal over that is like laying a sheet of paper on a gravel road, it only touches the high points - that is what causes what is called 'silvering'

Gloss has a smooth surface which allows decals to make contact at all points.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

is that why some decals crinkle when sprayed with a gloss-coat sealer?

Steve
"You Klingon Son, you killed my Bastard!"
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Agent Orange wrote:is that why some decals crinkle when sprayed with a gloss-coat sealer?

Steve
No, they crinkle because the chemical composition in most clear coats like Tamiya Clear Gloss is made mostly of acetone....nail polish remover....it kills decals. That's why Future is applied over the decals as a gloss coat for weathering, then a dull coat to flatten out the sheen and pull everything together.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000