Badger Patriot a good choice?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

prisoner_1079

Badger Patriot a good choice?

Post by prisoner_1079 »

I've been meaning to get a decent airbrush for a while now. Dual action, gravity feed. I'd like to get something nice, so I won't have to replace it later, hopefully in the $75-$150 range.

I think I've decided on a Badger 105 over the 360 because the gravity feed paint cup is a bit small on the 360, and i'm not sure that I'd need the bottom-feed feature on the 360. Are there any other features I'd be missing by not getting the 360? Will I be ok doing large surfaces for base coats just using gravity feed?

Is the difference between the 105-1 and the 105-2XR just the size of the paint cup? Are there any other differences?

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush- ... 022&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush- ... 022&sr=8-6

Any other insight would be helpful. Also if anyone has a recommendation on another affordable brand/model of airbrush please let me know.
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Iwata Eclipse http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/hp_cs from http://www.hummingline.com/hobbyshop/airbrushes.html

Love mine and they last forever. Upgraded to a B+ earlier in the year and love it also (still use my Eclipse a lot tho').
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

You can also get the Neo, Iwata's "beginner" brush at Hobby Lobby for around $50 or less with one of their coupons. Very nice brush, full stainless steel and chrome parts, includes various interchangeable paint cups, and works with all of the Iwata accessories, and also lasts forever.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, the Neo is a great starter brush and enables one to get into the arena for under $50. I got to play with the Neo @ iHobby this year and came away quite impressed. Sturdy feel, fine lines, interchangeable cup sizes (why can't they do that on the other brushes!).
Abolish Alliteration
apsilon

Post by apsilon »

I have the 360. Absolutely love it. It was my first "real" airbrush and right from the start I was able to produce great finishes with it. That said the cup size did become a limitation but not as much as you may think. When laying down properly thin coats a little paint goes a long way. As I'm not a fan of siphon feed I did buy another Badger. I can't recall the model but I'm almost certain it's the 105 (if I remember I'll check tonight). Basically the exact same brush as the 360 but with out siphon feed and with a larger cup. It's also fantastic but the 360 is still my primary brush.

If you're only going to buy one and you doubt you'll use siphon feed then you won't be disappointed with the 105 (though don't get that small cup version).
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Go with gravity feed. Badger's customer service is very good. I have an Omni I use all the time, it's a solid brush with inexpensive replacement parts.

Itwatas are better built, but more expensive parts. I don't have enough experience to say whether the parts last longer, offsetting that benefit.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Chas

Post by Chas »

Kylwell :Upgraded to a B+ earlier in the year
Do you mean the Eclipse series HP-BS, or the High Performance Series HP-B Plus? Just wanna be sure cus I'm in the market for an Airbrush too and I completely trust your judgement. What about compressors? anyone got a great one they wanna praise? or a POC they wanna warn folks away from?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
apsilon

Post by apsilon »

Chas wrote:What about compressors? anyone got a great one they wanna praise? or a POC they wanna warn folks away from?
I couldn't be happier with my 5ish year old twin cylinder Sparmax with about a 2l tank. Different than the model they have now but it's been fantastic.

BTW I checked and my other brush is a Badger 105.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Chas wrote:
Kylwell :Upgraded to a B+ earlier in the year
Do you mean the Eclipse series HP-BS, or the High Performance Series HP-B Plus? Just wanna be sure cus I'm in the market for an Airbrush too and I completely trust your judgement. What about compressors? anyone got a great one they wanna praise? or a POC they wanna warn folks away from?
High Performance Series HP-B Plus. Amazingly fine atomization.
Abolish Alliteration
prisoner_1079

Post by prisoner_1079 »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I still haven't taken the plunge yet, but the additional info helps a lot, cheers!
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

I have an Iwata SmartJet, and it's great. The only thing I would do differently, would be to get the version with the tank that Iwata has now. Other than that, NO complaints.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
kenbadger

Re: Badger Patriot a good choice?

Post by kenbadger »

prisoner_1079 wrote:I've been meaning to get a decent airbrush for a while now. Dual action, gravity feed. I'd like to get something nice, so I won't have to replace it later, hopefully in the $75-$150 range.

I think I've decided on a Badger 105 over the 360 because the gravity feed paint cup is a bit small on the 360, and i'm not sure that I'd need the bottom-feed feature on the 360. Are there any other features I'd be missing by not getting the 360? Will I be ok doing large surfaces for base coats just using gravity feed?

Is the difference between the 105-1 and the 105-2XR just the size of the paint cup? Are there any other differences?

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush- ... 022&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush- ... 022&sr=8-6

Any other insight would be helpful. Also if anyone has a recommendation on another affordable brand/model of airbrush please let me know.
It's a great choice! I personally guarantee it!
TAKE AIR
Ken 'Badger' Schlotfeldt
Mark 10:27
BADGER/Thayer & Chandler
American Made Airbrush Excellence
www.BadgerAirBrush.com
iSteve

Re: Badger Patriot a good choice?

Post by iSteve »

prisoner_1079 wrote:I've been meaning to get a decent airbrush for a while now. Dual action, gravity feed. I'd like to get something nice, so I won't have to replace it later, hopefully in the $75-$150 range.

I have a Badger Crescendo and just bought a new 360 Universal for $50 on that auction site. Badger makes a gravity/siphon cup that comes with the Crescendo or as a separate add-on. It would solve your volume issue for the 360's gravity feed.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Acessories_8.asp

It doesn't say you can use them on the 360 (probably to not give buyers the impression the 360's cup is too small), but anything that will fit a Crescendo 175 should work on a 360.
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
kenbadger

Post by kenbadger »

iSteve, thanks for sharing that information on our Badger Air-Brush Co. products, but I hope you don't mind if I can clarify a few points for thread readers.

Whether you us the bottom feed jar and adptor or the 1/4 oz. color cup - the Crescendo is still a bottom feed airbrush that must be operated at pressures high enough to siphon paint into the airbrush as well as spray it out of the airbrush. A gravity feed airbrush, like the Patriot, only needs to spray material from the airbush - as gravity pulls the paint into the airbrush. Thus the Patriot can be operated at lower pressures, providing better user control and making detail spray patterns easier to achieve and maintain during detail aspects of a project.

Also - I'm sorry but the 1/4 oz. color cup does not fit into the 360 airbrush, and cannot be used with it. You are limited to just using the funnel shaped cup that is permanently affixed in detail oriented gravity feed usage mode, or using a jar and adaptor when using the 360 in bottom feed mode for more general purpose needs.

Thanks again for your insights, I hope this helps clarify a few points for you and other thread readers.
TAKE AIR
Ken 'Badger' Schlotfeldt
Mark 10:27
BADGER/Thayer & Chandler
American Made Airbrush Excellence
www.BadgerAirBrush.com
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I haven't had the opportunity to use a Patriot, but I've examined them at shows. They look great. I have an older Omni which operates much the same way and threatens to run forever.

Get the gravity feed. You'll be happier in the long run. You can shoot small amounts and more dilute paints at lower pressure. You will want a cap for it, though.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

kenbadger wrote:iSteve, thanks for sharing that information on our Badger Air-Brush Co. products, but I hope you don't mind if I can clarify a few points for thread readers.

Whether you us the bottom feed jar and adptor or the 1/4 oz. color cup - the Crescendo is still a bottom feed airbrush that must be operated at pressures high enough to siphon paint into the airbrush as well as spray it out of the airbrush. A gravity feed airbrush, like the Patriot, only needs to spray material from the airbush - as gravity pulls the paint into the airbrush. Thus the Patriot can be operated at lower pressures, providing better user control and making detail spray patterns easier to achieve and maintain during detail aspects of a project.

Also - I'm sorry but the 1/4 oz. color cup does not fit into the 360 airbrush, and cannot be used with it. You are limited to just using the funnel shaped cup that is permanently affixed in detail oriented gravity feed usage mode, or using a jar and adaptor when using the 360 in bottom feed mode for more general purpose needs.

Thanks again for your insights, I hope this helps clarify a few points for you and other thread readers.
Excellent information - thank you!

I can't thank you guys enough for the service I have received from you in repairing my Crescendo. Can't wait to start using my 360 Universal!

One question Ken: the Badger website says fine replacement parts now available for the 360. Does that mean you can use a smaller tip for finer work? Where do you find these parts on the website?
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.