Reviving dead spray paint cans

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

E-Dub

Reviving dead spray paint cans

Post by E-Dub »

Have an almost full can of a color that is: A, no longer available and B, perfect for a project I'm working on. But when I hit the nozzle, it clogs in seconds, add a fresh nozzle same thing. Have shaken till my arm feels like its gonna fall off. Any ideas?
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

Give it a bath in warm water for a few minutes.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Hold it upside down and do a few short sprays. When I used Testor's rattle cans, I had to do that all the diddly-danged time. Never had to with Tamiya sprays.
Just Plain Al

Post by Just Plain Al »

As a last resort you can hold it upside down and spray out all the propellant. Then carefully pop a hole in the can and decant the paint into a jar to use it in an airbrush.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

With the warm water bath and frequent switching of nozzles I was able to get enough out of it for my small project. I'm giving up the idea of using it for the bigger one I had in mind. Thanks everybody.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

E-Dub wrote:With the warm water bath and frequent switching of nozzles I was able to get enough out of it for my small project. I'm giving up the idea of using it for the bigger one I had in mind. Thanks everybody.
Ohh okay. I was going to second the decanting idea. If that fails, leave the aerosol can in a hot car, wait for it explode and then gather the contents from the car's interior for airbrushing. Works every time...

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

I do have a spare car, but the big problem with your idea is that it's mid-December............in Michigan!
naoto

Post by naoto »

Okay, I put a saucepan with water on the stove, put the spraycan in it and turned on the flame... now what?
Hrm... I'm sort'a in a hurry so I'll put it on High for now...
waitiminit... If I use one of those turkey deep-fryer thingies... that'll get 'er done in no time flat!
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

naoto wrote:Okay, I put a saucepan with water on the stove, put the spraycan in it and turned on the flame... now what?
Hrm... I'm sort'a in a hurry so I'll put it on High for now...
waitiminit... If I use one of those turkey deep-fryer thingies... that'll get 'er done in no time flat!
BRILLIANT!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.