So How Many Dull, Future, or Gloss Coats Do You Use?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cenebar

So How Many Dull, Future, or Gloss Coats Do You Use?

Post by Cenebar »

This is a question following up on my "Pop-out Washes" thread below.

I'm seeing repliers mention "after the gloss coat and before I spray the Dullcoate."

I've read quite a few things in model magazines and on the forums over the years about after painting, one sprays on gloss coat for the decals, lays the decals, and then one sprays on Dullcoate to dull the sheen. Then others say that's phooey because that just results in a satin-finish model! These naysayers say paint on gloss on the decal areas, lay the decals, and then spray everything with Dullcoate.

And yet "phooey to that" others say...they spray on Future after the painting, lay the decals, and spray on more Future. But wouldn't Future give a satin finish? Fine for Gundams, but not really for say an AT-AT or grimy X-Wing.

Others say spraying on too much gloss or Dullcoate kind of hides the fine details and panel lines, not to mention one "fogged-up" coating spray and the model is ruined.

So what is the best, simpliest, and semi-cheapest way to coat a model? Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

In answer to your first question, as many as I need.

Cheap and best often time don't go together but you can work miracles with a good airbrush and Future. For flat coats I'll use JW & Etc's flat polyurethane or Testors acrylic matte coat. You really need an airbrush that can atomize things finely to get a good clear coat. I love my Iwata HP-CS for that. If the model is particularly fine I will thin the Future a bit and go with thin coats, letting it harden a day between coats to get a good shine. I'll often go a dozen or so thin coats of flat in between weathering to seal the various washes and filters.
Abolish Alliteration
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

Do you have a spray booth for your airbrush? I don't...I just use a cardboard shield, hence why I don't airbrush much. I have switched to acrylics a long time ago though.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, I've got a big metal beast. You can build a pretty efficient booth for not that much money http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm
Abolish Alliteration