priming and filling question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

christrom

priming and filling question

Post by christrom »

Hi Folks. Once you've primed a section and noticed maybe some chips to repair, do you sand the area back to styrene or can you apply filler OVER the layer of primer?

Cheers
Chris
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Depends on the filler - with Apoxie Paste, I just apply over the primer
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

This is an excellent question, and I'd like to see other people's take on this.

For minor stuff, you can use a "Spot and Glaze" putty. You can find it at automotive stores. It comes in a tube and is usually red in color. It's actually made for use on primer.

For major stuff, you might have to sand down to the styrene and do more puttying. I'd really try to avoid this if possible. What I do after puttying and sanding is this; I hold the model up to the light where I'm looking at it edge on. You can usually spot flaws that way.

You want to prime when the surface is smooth to the touch and imperfections are not visible otherwise. Holding it to the light is a good way to check.

What say you?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I usually just use the Spot Putty right over the primer with no problems.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?