Softer masking edges?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

smusno

Softer masking edges?

Post by smusno »

Is there any way to soften the edges when using masking tape?

I have used Tamiya masking tape to create my own aztek pattern on the secondary hull and pylons on my dodgy old refit Enterprise. But.........

Where im a noob, and extremely new to modelling, I have used rattle cans. Now, I think I have made a pretty good job of the painting, and the masking. I allowed everything tons of time to dry, pressed all the masking down well and so on. But, on removal. The darker bits of paint are quite pronounced :roll:

I appreciate that a covering in a thin white, and some white pearl will calm it down. I also appreciate that once she is finished, it wont look a fraction as "obvious" when you look at her as a whole. But would a light sanding with some wet and dry help? Or will that just scratch up the base coat too?

thanks, smusno.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

You could try a very light sanding with some wet 600 grit, That could cut down the edges. Try it in a less noticeable area first.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Lately I've become a fan of sanding dry with the finer grits. I tried it on a whim and find that while it does clog faster, it doesn't cut nearly as quickly (so it's harder to sand through), and it's a lot easier to tell when you're smooth or if you're about to sand through. The blasphemy! But it really does work better in a lot of situations like this. You can always wash the paper out when you're done...

I also like 0000 steel wool for this sort of thing, as well as for a light scuff between coats. You'll never find an easier way to get a super smooth finish.

-Rog
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

When are you removing the masking after painting? If you wait for the paint to completely cure, your going to get a more pronounced demarcation between colors. I would wait about an hour after painting and then remove your mask. Depending on the masked subject, I may remove my masking as soon as the paint has flashed over, maybe about 5-10 minutes! This will allow the still setting paint to "flatten out" thus reducing the raised edge between colors. And as always, use several thin coats to build up color as opposed to one or two heavy coats. That should help lessen the ridge build up.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"