Best size of fiber optic for Revell/Monogram Voyager 1/677

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

samusaran

Best size of fiber optic for Revell/Monogram Voyager 1/677

Post by samusaran »

What would be the best size of fiber optic to light up the Revell/Monogram Star Trek Voyager 1/677 model ? I plan to illuminate the nacelles, all the clear windows included with the model, and I also plan to cut off some of the smaller windows to illuminate them as well.

Any advice ??
vwguy16

Post by vwguy16 »

maybe 1.5mm for the windows if you are going to drill holes to light them that way....

From your post it im unsure if you are planning to light the nacelles wil fibre optics ? not sure thats a practical way of doing that. leds for the bussards and blue led strips for the warp engines!

Im building this kit at the moment also....but i decided that as the windows arent round to just cut them out and keep the slits and add some bright white LEDs inside the two hulls. Tho now i wish i had added some scuffed clear plastic sheet to act as a diffuser :/
samusaran

Updates...

Post by samusaran »

Since my last post, I've done some research about lighting models, and my lighting system will be a combination of fiber optics and LEDs. As you said, I will use some bright LEDs for the two main hulls. I will cut out some of the windows and fill them with CLEAR PARTS CEMENT AND WINDOW MAKER from Testors (as you can see on this web site : http://www.dlmparts.com/lightingtips.html ). I thought about using resin, but it's a bit expensive. But this "Envirotex" seems a good alternative.

For the nacelles, I will try to use this new product, it seems perfect for this situation : http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/purch ... -Fiber.htm

I also ordered some sample-pack of fiber optics from thefiberopticstore.com . I will probably use only fiber optics for the green and red lights, and leds for the impulse engines and the torpedo lunchers lights.