EASY LED

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Craig

EASY LED

Post by Craig »

Hi all,

I'm contemplating tackling my 1/350 Enterprise-A. I've seen the Paragraphix Easy LED on sale. They come in strips and you can cut different lengths to suit the model.

For someone with no electronics experience, is this something that I should look at? Do you just take a 9 volt and wire it to the strip? Maybe add in an on/off switch from Radio Shack?

Thanks for any response.

Craig
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you truly want easy LEDs just go buy a set of battery powered LED Christmas lights. Usually come 10 to set for about $7.
Abolish Alliteration
mgoldcha

Post by mgoldcha »

Craig,

To answer your question, yes this is a viable alternative. The Easy LED product is exactly that - very easy to use. It is simple to hook up the strip to a power source and not worry about using resistors or parallel vs serial connections. I bought a strip of blue lights to use in my Reliant build instead of using CCFLs. I'm tired of trying to fit thick power wires through ultra thin pylons.
mgoldcha

Post by mgoldcha »

Craig,

To answer your question, yes this is a viable alternative. The Easy LED product is exactly that - very easy to use. It is simple to hook up the strip to a power source and not worry about using resistors or parallel vs serial connections. I bought a strip of blue lights to use in my Reliant build instead of using CCFLs. I'm tired of trying to fit thick power wires through ultra thin pylons.
kerick

Post by kerick »

These strips look a lot more useful than what I bought at an auto parts store. I say go for it.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I've seen these things and they are about as simple as it gets.

You need a battery, a couple of wires, and the strip. And a cheap soldering iron to solder the wires to the strip.

These things also work with my stuff. Instead of stringing LEDs together and hooking them to my card, just hook the strip to my card as if it was a string. (because thats all it really is!)
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks!

I haven't completed a model in a few years but I have lots of projects on that are in various stages of completion.

It would be a shame not to add some lights to the 1/350 Enterprise. It would look nice beside my Master Replicas Enterprise.

I had thought about Christmas LED awhile ago and had bought a set a few years ago. However, Costco recalled the set and I haven't gotten back to revisiting it.

Anyways, I'm starting to map out how many of those strips I would need and where I would place them.

Anymore thoughts for an electronics newbie would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks to all of the replies.
kerick

Post by kerick »

Here is a wizard I live by.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Make sure you know the input voltage of the LED, the current in mA and the supply voltage you are using. Other than that read the threads under lighting, and plan your work carefully ahead of time. I find American Science and Surplus and Amazon .com helpful. Also get a small multi meter, I use mine all the time. Most any place that sells tools wil have them.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Craig wrote:
Anymore thoughts for an electronics newbie would be greatly appreciated as well.
Visit my site (www.madmanlighting.com) and peruse the downloads section. There you will find two articles I wrote on lighting models, one was Deep Space 9 (aka The Wheel of Pain) and the 350th NX-01 (aka Flying Dinner Plate) and all my old instructions. Sometime this weekend I'm gonna overhaul that section and put up all the new stuff that goes with my redesigned controller card.

Enjoy!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Hi Craig,

I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier.

Yes, it's just as easy as you have stated and it's about to get even easier ...

Details to follow in the next couple of weeks once the prototypes are done.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Paul
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Hey Paul!
I just ordered a few strips of these from the SSM shop for a few projects I'm working on. What'ss the big tease about? Can you give us any hints? I'm really curious as I've just started the first of 7 projects that will (Hopefully) all be lit. So come on, we won't tell anyone promise!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

That's great, Chas! Thanks!

I can do better than hint - I can tell you all about ...

I now offer solderless connectors in a very small, low profile unit that will fit in most any build. They're available in 2, 4, and 10 packs for $2.95, $5.95 and $11.95 a piece.

I just made the announcement in the "This Just In" board: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=95359

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

As someone who never has the time, money, know-how or supplies all at the same time to light a model, I too am very fascinated by this idea.

One quick questions though, can I string together light strips of different colors?

Say I want to run together some red, blue and white, is that feasable? or am I just safer going with one color, like white and just painting the clear parts the desired color?
Orwell was an optimist...

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

My perpetually unfinished builds
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

All colors can be strung together to one power supply (battery, wall wart, what-have-you). You don't have to worry about voltage as each tape has its own resistor set build right in and can work off a common voltage.

Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

...looks like I have some models to build. Thanks Paul, I'll definitely check t out.
Orwell was an optimist...

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

My perpetually unfinished builds
MLCrisis32

Light strips on 1/537 Reliant

Post by MLCrisis32 »

Hello everyone, first post. (been lurking for a bit)

I like many others have little to no electronics experience so the Easy LED/Light Strips look like a great solution. My question is how many would you need to say light up the side hull windows, the top dome openings etc? Also if you adhere them (to the hull) they will point up not out towards the sides.. will they be bright enough?

Sorry for all the questions, any help appreciated!
Paulbo

Re: Light strips on 1/537 Reliant

Post by Paulbo »

MLCrisis32 wrote:Hello everyone, first post. (been lurking for a bit)

I like many others have little to no electronics experience so the Easy LED/Light Strips look like a great solution. My question is how many would you need to say light up the side hull windows, the top dome openings etc? Also if you adhere them (to the hull) they will point up not out towards the sides.. will they be bright enough?

Welcome MLC.

Which ship are you asking about? I thought maybe you meant the TOS Enteprise, but "openings" makes me think not.

If you paint the interior of your ship white (over light blocking black), or line with aluminum tape as outlined in several other threads, then the light will bounce around the inside more than well enough to light the windows.

As to how many, it completely depends on the look you're going for - more for a brighter glow, fewer for a more subdued view. You can also cut and place several shorter sections rather than one long piece.

MLCrisis32

Re: Light strips on 1/537 Reliant

Post by MLCrisis32 »

Paulbo wrote:
MLCrisis32 wrote:Hello everyone, first post. (been lurking for a bit)

Welcome MLC.

Which ship are you asking about? I thought maybe you meant the TOS Enteprise, but "openings" makes me think not.

If you paint the interior of your ship white (over light blocking black), or line with aluminum tape as outlined in several other threads, then the light will bounce around the inside more than well enough to light the windows.

As to how many, it completely depends on the look you're going for - more for a brighter glow, fewer for a more subdued view. You can also cut and place several shorter sections rather than one long piece.
Thanks for the reply! I'm planning a Round 2 Reliant build since I never got to build one before. I haven't done a larger model in nearly 20 years and never attempted lighting a kit so it's a bit daunting.

I've seen tutorials on Youtube explaining what you said about painting to block/bounce light and I will certainly do that first. I just plan to drill out some windows along the side hull and some on the front portion of the upper hull area.

Another question is building/buying a base. Others have suggested a brass/alum pole that can hide the wires into a base but I can't seem to find a vendor who sells them, well under $100. I could build it out but I really don't have a setup for carpentry work :wink:

Again thanks!