Cherry red metal

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nkuzmik

Cherry red metal

Post by nkuzmik »

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about mimicking that reddish orange glow of red hot steel?
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Base coat with Flat White, mist on an overspray of dayglow yellow, then succeeding layers of dayglow orange to red airbrushed as you work towards the corners of the object, keeping the parts closest to the "core" of the material the lightest color, and the edges the darkest.

Or just put a layer of mixed down Transparent Orange/Clear Dullcoat on over Flat White for smaller bits.

Molten material emits light, and cooler areas are darker or "backlit", so don't use any gloss finish. You want the reflected light to be even and bright from the "hot" surface, hence the matte paint.

If the surroundings/diorama are dark, lit by the glow of the hot steel, you might do shading and highlights as if the metal was a light source, and spray some more thinned Transparent Orange for color over the highlights closest to the heat.
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

WOW.... I am forever humbled. :bow:
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Thanks, TER-OR, great pics! That shows exactly the idea I was trying to describe! :D
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Here is one more great example.

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics5/img ... caae78.jpg

If you go to Coolminiornot.com look up the painting articles there used to be a great one that showed how to paint flames etc...
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Mark, that's one I remember as the first truly outstanding lighting effect miniature. I've seen lanterns, "magic missiles" and such since.

Yeah, it's humbling. I know these people do this as a primary hobby so they get really good at it. Still, it's phenomenal.

Terry Miesle
G-man

Post by G-man »

so..are those airbrushed or hand painted?..i know alot of those builds on cool mini or not are in the quarter and half dollar range, so..i'd hat eto think a person could airbrush that...but...

G-man
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Almost exclusively hand-brushed.

it's about thinning to transparency and layering so on and so on. Also about understanding color theory and making it work for you.

How they thin:
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/15

Terry Miesle
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

That's a great article Ter, thanks!
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
nkuzmik

Post by nkuzmik »

Well, if I wasn't a little nervous about trying this glowing metal thing before, I am now.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

But you're going to do it anyway, right?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

nkuzmik wrote:
Well, if I wasn't a little nervous about trying this glowing metal thing before, I am now.
Try it. Screw up. Get better. Try again. Screw up less. Try more. Get a bit better. Screw up even less. After just a few tries, we'll be humbled by you. ;)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
nkuzmik

Post by nkuzmik »

Oh, yeah, I'm still gonna try it.

My timeline is fairly long on this project. I don't even expect to have the actual kits until early August, nor have them ready for this stage of painting until early September.
nkuzmik

Post by nkuzmik »

CaptBillD wrote:Base coat with Flat White, mist on an overspray of dayglow yellow, then succeeding layers of dayglow orange to red airbrushed as you work towards the corners of the object, keeping the parts closest to the "core" of the material the lightest color, and the edges the darkest.

Or just put a layer of mixed down Transparent Orange/Clear Dullcoat on over Flat White for smaller bits.

Molten material emits light, and cooler areas are darker or "backlit", so don't use any gloss finish. You want the reflected light to be even and bright from the "hot" surface, hence the matte paint.

If the surroundings/diorama are dark, lit by the glow of the hot steel, you might do shading and highlights as if the metal was a light source, and spray some more thinned Transparent Orange for color over the highlights closest to the heat.
My experience with real metal is that if a part is white hot, it is throwing off a lot of light. Wouldn't you want to use glosses or maybe some reflectiive paint to mimic the light coming off?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/spra ... 98374.html
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Flat paints look brighter than gloss paints for the same reason that snow is brighter than water. Flat colors refract and scatter light whereas gloss colors merely reflect it. As a result, a model painted with bright, flat colors, if done correctly, will look as if the light is coming from within.