What did I do wrong?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

What did I do wrong?

Post by DeltaVee »

Over a Floquil enamel base coat, I tried a Model Master Acryl wash thinned with Acryl thinner. The dried wash wouldn't come up. Base color was coming off. I just stripped it down and started over. I thought any water-based stuff wasn't supposed to harm enamel. What happened? :cry:
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

What is the base of the acryl thinner?

I always seal with future before any wash/weathering just to be safe.
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Seal with Future or another incompatible clear coat.
I don't like paints as panel washes - there's a whole thread here on alternatives. I like transparent watercolors, myself.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

TER-OR wrote:Seal with Future or another incompatible clear coat.
I don't like paints as panel washes - there's a whole thread here on alternatives. I like transparent watercolors, myself.
I've had great results with the pastel washes. I also got some clay based washes from Flory Models. They are nice. Easy to work with, and can be airbrushed on as well.

My Blog
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks guys.
1. Terry, can I apply a Floquil or Model Master paint thinned with mineral spirits over a Floquil finished coated with Future?
2. Can I apply tempera paint thinned with just water/dish soap/alcohol over a bare Floquil finish?
3. Or do you really need to have a clear coat any time you wash?
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I have gotten good results with artist oil paint thinned with mineral spirits or turpentine. The key is to ensure that you have a good solid clear acrylic finish on the model that has had plenty of time to cure, at least two to three days. After applying the wash and wiping away, you want to leave it alone for a bit (~1hr) before applying a second coat as the mineral spirits soften the clear coat somewhat. Never use lacquer thinner as it is too volatile and will strip the paint off your model.

Good luck.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I think I've actually used enamel paint and mineral spirits over Future before but wasn't sure I should have been. Is there no wash that can be applied without a clear coat?
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

The good thing about weathering over clear coat is that if you make a mistake or are just dissatisfied, you can wipe clean and start over. Personally, I think weathering without a clear coat is just silly. Maybe that's cuz I'm not nearly as talented as others and I make a lot of mistakes.... :oops:

My Blog