Light Blocking Colors

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Light Blocking Colors

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I've been using Dupilcolor's Bumper Coating Material out of the rattle can as a light blocking/bleed coating, but It seems as if they've changed its pigment density so it now is no different than black spray paint. What are other choices for a light blocking coat? Since in a few cases it will need to go entirely on the exterior of the model, I'm looking for something that will completely block out all light bleed/leaks with only a few thin coats.

An out of the bottle color for plugging up pinhole leaks I will need also.
Thomas E. Johnson
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

On my cricket phaser the whole emitter (black section) is clear red resin. It has a 3,000mcd 5mm LED in it. It needed serious light blocking! I used Duplicolor grey primer followed by Krylon flat black. Check out the video. It worked pretty good.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v606/ ... =003-3.mp4
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Benjamin Arendt

Post by Benjamin Arendt »

Chrome-Spray-Rattlecans or any other "metall"-paint wil work well. Such as Tamiya Silver for example.

Silver-paints will block even better than black paints because of their pigments.

Heared that from another forum-menber over at phoxim.de, tried it and found out he was right.

Now I use chrome silver in rattlecan. Pretty cheap and acrylics also. So no problems with compatibilites.. :D

Give it a try...
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

I've recently started using Montana Gold rattle cans on my acrylic back-lit displays. I had been using Krylon Fusion, but it was taking several coats to make it completely opaque. Two coats of the Montana Gold black and I can hold it inches from a super-bright desktop light and nothing gets through! It also goes on with very little overspray and dries pretty much in minutes.

That said, I picked up a can of Montana's silver and tried it out on one of the saucer halves of a 1/350 Enterprise. Same qualities...only better! The paint isn't cheap, something like $8 a can, but it goes a lot further than other rattle cans.
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Disillusionist wrote:I've recently started using Montana Gold rattle cans on my acrylic back-lit displays. I had been using Krylon Fusion, but it was taking several coats to make it completely opaque. Two coats of the Montana Gold black and I can hold it inches from a super-bright desktop light and nothing gets through! It also goes on with very little overspray and dries pretty much in minutes.

That said, I picked up a can of Montana's silver and tried it out on one of the saucer halves of a 1/350 Enterprise. Same qualities...only better! The paint isn't cheap, something like $8 a can, but it goes a lot further than other rattle cans.
Where can you find this brand?
Thomas E. Johnson
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

I found it at Dick Blick's, I think a lot of other artist supply stores carry it as well. It's intended to be used as graffiti paint.
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook