Lighting 1/48 TIE

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MandoMan531

Lighting 1/48 TIE

Post by MandoMan531 »

Hey guys just looking for some help lighting my TIE. Is there a small battery I can use under the bottom cockpit "hatch", maybe from a watch or something? I only need one red LED maybe 2 tops. Thanks for any help!
talon

Post by talon »

Try a hearing aid battery. They're tiny. I think there are a few different sizes from small to OMG thats small! But you might need to use 2 to get enough voltage. I think the standard hearing aid battery is 1.4v. A better place for the batteries might be under the floor of the cockpit. You could use rare earth magnets to hold the bottom cover in place and then just pull it off and replace the batteries as needed.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
MandoMan531

Post by MandoMan531 »

Yea that's what I meant by the bottom "hatch". I'll check out some hearing aid batteries, I was thinking watch or batteries for some small electronics. Then I gotta figure out in I'll need resistors./

Btw I received my TIE photoetch. A few pieces were a bit confusing but I think I got the whole rear fuselage done properly. Also got my Falcon set And clear nozzles from Culttvman today. Good stuff man.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

If you want to power 2 or 3 LEDs you can use two button cell batteries. Try some LR1130's. They are thinner than the common 357's that come in most electronic gadgets and still put out 1.5v each. If you can't fit a holder in there for them you could use aluminum tape to secure the leads to the batteries. Use thin strips of Tamiya yellow tape to hold the batteries together then use a small square to hold the leads on.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
MandoMan531

Post by MandoMan531 »

I found a few 3v coin batteries online, but I have no idea the size of them. 3v would power 2 or 3 LEDs yea?
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

MandoMan531

Post by MandoMan531 »

I mean I know the battery size but not physically how big the batteries are. I'm sure just about any button cell batteries would fit.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

The sixth colum over gives dimensions in millimeters.
MandoMan531

Post by MandoMan531 »

Ah, I shoulve taken a closer look. My bad. Thanks!