Paint before gluing

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matty1973

Paint before gluing

Post by Matty1973 »

Oh so i have a question

I am building the PL 1/350 enterprise and i want the paint job to be fantastic but i have some serious concerns about getting paint on the clear parts and on the lights and am wondering is it worth pre painting the majority of the kit before final assembly and then masking all areas that wont need any filling and sanding after assembly and just do spot areas at that stage.

Whats your thoughts
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

That is how I work with models. The major downside is that you may have to sand off some of the paint to get a good weld between the pieces.
shotgunlebowski

Post by shotgunlebowski »

I bet if you look at a majority of the 1/350 builds posted they all assemble then paint. In this scale it's not that difficult to mask off the windows.

For example here is a build that goes over all of it for you. Page 17 even says how to do the window masks

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipplent22.html

It might be borring but this model is worth the time if you can spend it.

John
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

shotgunlebowski wrote:I bet if you look at a majority of the 1/350 builds posted they all assemble then paint. In this scale it's not that difficult to mask off the windows.

For example here is a build that goes over all of it for you. Page 17 even says how to do the window masks

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipplent22.html

It might be borring but this model is worth the time if you can spend it.

John
thanks for that, doesnt look too bad at all, cheers
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I try to avoid the paint first build later approach if I can.

Not only (as stated) is it likley you will need to sand off some of the paint to get a decent joint, fill gaps etc, there is a risk that the glue will dissolve the paint and you get runs. The paint can get scuffed and dirty from handling. And then when you repaint the areas affected, you risk getting a different tone which stands out like a sore thumb.

However, I will often paint small parts while still on the sprue (wheels, joysticks etc) and then use tweezers to handle them.

Often you have no real choice but even then I try to build major sub-assemblies and paint them first, hoping to keep the area affected by a final assembly to a minimum.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Matty, I had the same concerns... in hind sight I would do the following..

Don't use the windows.
Really, the only ones you need are the BIG ones for the recreation deck and Captains Lounge. Maybe the angled ones that focus light on the neck.

If I had to do it again, I'd leave all those small window clear parts off. paint it, then use Window Maker to fill them in after it's complete.
you don't have to worry about masking them off or any of that.
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/