Stripping Fine Molds Chrome

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

talon

Stripping Fine Molds Chrome

Post by talon »

I have an FM Chrome 1:144 Millennium Falcon. I want to strip the chrome off and so far it is not even taking a dent. I first tried 409. Had a bunch of it. Soaked it for a couple hours, no change, when people were commenting on the release after 30 minutes or so. Also tried bleach, coke, and Easy Off. All I've succeeded in doing is making a very shiny and antibiotic Falcon. Any ideas? Sanding is out. No one had that kind of time. Could I just prime over it using Duplicolor self-etching primer?

My intent is to use this kit as a display kit for the photoetch I'm developing. I was just going to primer it with gray and attach the raw unpainted etch to the places it goes so I can have some displays for Wonderfest.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
duck

Post by duck »

kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've never heard of chrome that would resist Easy-Off, looking around there are several different types of Easy-Off, which one do you have?

I think primer will go on fine over the chrome providing you're not masking over it (which sounds like you're not going to do).

Ken
talon

Post by talon »

kenlilly106 wrote:I've never heard of chrome that would resist Easy-Off, looking around there are several different types of Easy-Off, which one do you have?

I think primer will go on fine over the chrome providing you're not masking over it (which sounds like you're not going to do).

Ken
I used the yellow can, the heavy duty 5 minute job. I figured if it could take care of the oven in 5 minutes I could release the chrome in 5. Sprayed it, let it sit for 5 minutes, gently rinsed it off... and nothing. not even pitting. As far as I can tell it didn't touch the chrome.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Castrol Super Clean. (now just Super Clean)

If the Fine Molds chrome-plating is anything like Tamiya chrome-plating, it'll work. I used CSC to strip a Tamiya Mig-15 and a few motorcycle kits. It will need an overnight bath (or two) in a *sealed* sterlite container. It'll kill the chrome and that sickly yellow glossy primer underneath.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Underlord

Post by Underlord »

How important is it to strip the chrome? Can't you primer over it and paint as usual? I think in some kits it might be extra cool to show pitting down to the metal if there is a chrome layer down under there.

Ok, there's my flame bait. I'm still a bit of a beginner here, so maybe I'm just dense. Perhaps chrome parts don't hold paint at all. *shrug* Even Mr. Surfacer?? That stuff sticks to everything, doesn't it?

I'm always willing to learn, that's why I'm here.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Super Clean will remove chrome and the undercoating. It also strips paint. You can buy it in big box stores.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Chrome under chipped paint would look terrible, Underlord. When paint is chipped, there is usually a lot of weathering to go along with it. The underlying metal will usually be corroded, and chrome is exactly the opposite of corroded.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

Have you tried brake fluid yet?
Too much LDS