AB causing a Pebbling Effect

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

AB causing a Pebbling Effect

Post by starmanmm »

I've finally gotten around to painting the 22" E and because of the size.... I went for my Wren B than my Iwata CR for coverage.

The paint is Gunze Sangyo thinned with 91% alcohol with the compressor set at 20 psi. I was spraying at around 4 - 6" away.

But the finish spray is looking like the surface is pebbled?

What causes this effect?
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Sometimes the pigment isn't fully mixed and melted into the paint liquid, so thinning the paint for airbrushing only compounds the problem. Strain the paint thru a piece of nylon panty hose.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by rpauly »

Dial your air pressure back to 10-12 pounds, or get an inch or two closer. The paint's already drying by the time it hits the model.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

rpauly wrote:Dial your air pressure back to 10-12 pounds, or get an inch or two closer. The paint's already drying by the time it hits the model.
That was my first thought as well. The higher PSI is causing the paint to dry in-flight between the nozzle of the airbrush and the surface of the kit.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I was under the understanding that you would shoot are high psi for the coverage... but I am thinking that the 91% is causing the paint to dry too fast. :?
ExarKun77

Post by ExarKun77 »

"91%" is not a mix ratio, it's the concentration of the alcohol.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

What is the mix ratio? and yeah your paint is drying before it hits the surface. Add just a little more paint to the mix and move closer 15psi should be about right. I suggest testing before each session. I have bunches of scrap that I practice on to make sure that I have everything tuned correctly prior to application.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I know that 91% is the alcohol... what I was saying is that maybe too much alcohol in the paint is causing the issue. Alcohol speeds up the drying time... so I'm guessing that the purer the alcohol... the faster it maybe causing the paint to dry.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

My personal rule of thumb is 1/3 paint to 2/3s thinner is the MAX thinning. Typically I use a 50/ 50 unless it is an airbrush color like many of the testors enamels and the metalizers.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert