OT-Primer/sealant for painting on metal

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MrNobudy

OT-Primer/sealant for painting on metal

Post by MrNobudy »

Ok, not used to working on this medium, but i have some large pieces of metal that i am going to paint. Does anyone have any experince with that? mainly looking for what would be the best sandable primer out there.

i usually start with 450 grit and move up to 1000 grit for a smooth finish. then polishing pads.

in regards to that as well, what would be a good sealant that can be waxed/polished to a good shine? thanks!!

oh, and should probably state that i would be looking for something store bought in a rattle can if possible. i don't have a large paint gun at my disposal.
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

I would use Duplicolor Self Etching primer. You can get it at any automotive parts store in the paint section.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/selfEtchingPrimer/

Scott
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!
AztekDummy

Post by AztekDummy »

What he said!

In addition, the duplicolor line also has a very good primer/sealer and a sandable primer. all made for automotive work, so you know they'd work on metal
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

thanks! i only have about a month and a half to get this done, so im greatful for the info!!
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!